Poll: To hardtail an xs650 or not to?

How is the ride after hard tailing an xs650 (really)?

• Total voters

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
Wanting to have everyone weigh in here. Sersiously thinking about going tcbros on the soft tail and wanted to get feedback from people who have done this or similar. I am young and feel up to the ride, but this would also be my first bike so maybe not. . . .

Take your shocks of and bolt on 2 solid steel rods and ride around like that for a while and don't forget the ride will get harder if you do hard tail as the seats are usually not padded

- well if you had 2 of them, you could hardtail 1 for posing and short trips and use the other for serious riding :D

And don't forget that if you do it, run 15-20 psi in the rear to take the edge off.

My XS rides hard with shocks but then my main ride is an oilhead. smoooooth

"Step-away-from-the-hardtail!" Hands above your head.....now, drop the torch. Good.

Now, to fight the addiction, sit on a 2x6 board for about two hours, while someone kicks it at odd intervals....I've never quite gotten why guys--who have some fairly vulnerable parts--would want to put themselves through that sort of a ride, just to look cool.

See, I can admit it--hard-tails look kinda neat. And feel like crap......:bike:

Just my opinion.....

Do what you want man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously they ride rougher than a bike with suspension and a 5inch thick foam seat. Its a trade off. If you really wanted a "touring" bike why not go with a Harley bagger? Or for how cheap you can hardtail a XS, do it that way and save up for another bike (or another XS) and save that for long distance. I have a hardtail custom build and I LOVE how it rides. I feel so much more in tune with the road. It is over 9 foot long though and has single radiused downtube running a 300mm tire. My seat is at most, 1 inch of super hard camping pad foam, bolted straight to the frame, my girlfriends seat is 2 inch of same hard foam, suction cupped straight to fender and she thinks it rides fine. We have put on 250 miles straight with it and she thought it was fun! Ive put over 400 miles on in a day and never even thought twice about it. In the end, just do what you want. Bolting two steel rods in the shock places will not give the same ride as a hardtail (although it will give you a general idea). Hardtails have a low ass end to the bike and it changes how you sit on it, changing how it effects your ass and back over bumps! I think my hardtail I built last year, rides smoother than softail I built 2 years ago. No one will be able to tell you, how "you" will like it. I personally love mine. And you will get arguments both ways. I have 3 other bikes with suspension, and they all have ups and downs!

Justin

Attachments

• DSCN0711.jpg
    DSCN0711.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 180
I've never quite gotten why guys--who have some fairly vulnerable parts--would want to put themselves through that sort of a ride, just to look cool.

Really, you've kinda answered your own question there. Really, it's like putting a 454 V-8 in a motorcycle frame (ie: Boss Hoss) - Why? Why would you do that? 'Cause it's f'in cool.

Conversely, why a nice purse when a burlap sack would do just as well?

Or heaven's forfend - heels.

(i'm admittedly making a guess with "Barb" that yer female. Thus the other presumptions).

Anyway - people do weird things just 'cause.

This thread is great! I love the heels analogy!

I'm with Sundie on this "it's cool" thing.. example: I have some friends with big diesel trucks that love them but don't need them. When you ask them why they bought a big diesel truck, some will spend 5 minutes trying to justify how they pull this or that trailer and 10 other reasons why they need such a big damn truck... Others will just respond: "Cuz they're fuckin' cool!" :devil:

Regarding hardtails: ever wonder how people can ride road bikes at 20-25mph all day and haul ass down hills sometimes at 50mph? Think of the seats and lack of suspension they have. Just watch out for the pot holes and pick your roads! Also think about keeping mid-controls vs forwards. It will allow you stand up easier and use your knees for suspension.

Really, you've kinda answered your own question there. Really, it's like putting a 454 V-8 in a motorcycle frame (ie: Boss Hoss) - Why? Why would you do that? 'Cause it's f'in cool.

Conversely, why a nice purse when a burlap sack would do just as well?

Or heaven's forfend - heels.

(i'm admittedly making a guess with "Barb" that yer female. Thus the other presumptions).

Anyway - people do weird things just 'cause.

Hi Guys,

Well, OK--I get it with the purses---my major weakness---but heels? We wear heels because men like them.....does anyone honestly think that a P-pad on a hardtail will attract actual female riders?

I owned a hardtail once---a post-war ULH 80" HD flathead. It had the center-post seat with the passenger springs (remember those?) and I really loved the way it looked. Of course, it was way too heavy for me and I sold it, but it was a hardtail......:wink2:

I think the most universal statement so far is above: "people do weird things just 'cause." (To which I can only add, "No sh!t!") :bike:

Oh. One other thing: those of you guys who are welding on hardtails, would you please keep the stock shocks? I've worn mine out and am running Triumph shocks now.....so if you want to get rid of the pesky things, just let me know, OK?

And one should never take anything--even heels--seriously....

Still haven't figured out what is wrong with springs........or what is wrong with the ole stock look..........I think my 80 looks just fine........for an old relic.....all I did was lower the rear an inch...........Since I don't wear high heels....:laugh:....besides I ride too much to be hoging it all up......75k on this one........:bike:..........luckily mines was garage kept so leaving it alone was a no brainer.........:thumbsup:

Wish you could ride this bitch now at 8-1 with the tall gears and air deflectors and timed and carbed properly.........rode it all last summer 8k without touching a thing including the carbs..................well turned the chain tensioner 1/4 turn.....the DID o-ring pro chain seems to be a good one...........of course tires......I hate tires........:mad:

Spent all my time on the engine from past experience.....theres more inside but ran up against the thumbnail limit....glad I did and you are too probably.........:)

xsjohn

Attachments

• Yamaha Sport Fairing 3.jpg
    Yamaha Sport Fairing 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Bent out Buckhorns.jpg
    Bent out Buckhorns.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Quick throttle.jpg
    Quick throttle.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Timing.jpg
    Timing.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 160
  • XS650 Cooling the Stator and Rotor .jpg
    XS650 Cooling the Stator and Rotor .jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,234
  • Valve Covers 3.jpg
    Valve Covers 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 168
  • TOP COOLER.jpg
    TOP COOLER.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 164
  • Dimple Piston Skirt.jpg
    Dimple Piston Skirt.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Smooth out cam chain.jpg
    Smooth out cam chain.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Air Box 1.jpg
    Air Box 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Valve Covers 4.jpg
    Valve Covers 4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
John, I believe that for all the times you have posted on "Brand X", these are the first pics I've seen of your bike. A beauty, too! I'm still running your needles in the carbs, and they are still working just fine. :thumbsup:

I've had a few hardtails, they are as comfy as the seat allows, a couple have been real nice rides the others were so so, the only thing I don't like that's on most hardtails are forward controls, they make me sit on the wrong part of my ass.

Do what you want man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously they ride rougher than a bike with suspension and a 5inch thick foam seat. Its a trade off. If you really wanted a "touring" bike why not go with a Harley bagger? Or for how cheap you can hardtail a XS, do it that way and save up for another bike (or another XS) and save that for long distance. I have a hardtail custom build and I LOVE how it rides. I feel so much more in tune with the road. It is over 9 foot long though and has single radiused downtube running a 300mm tire. My seat is at most, 1 inch of super hard camping pad foam, bolted straight to the frame, my girlfriends seat is 2 inch of same hard foam, suction cupped straight to fender and she thinks it rides fine. We have put on 250 miles straight with it and she thought it was fun! Ive put over 400 miles on in a day and never even thought twice about it. In the end, just do what you want. Bolting two steel rods in the shock places will not give the same ride as a hardtail (although it will give you a general idea). Hardtails have a low ass end to the bike and it changes how you sit on it, changing how it effects your ass and back over bumps! I think my hardtail I built last year, rides smoother than softail I built 2 years ago. No one will be able to tell you, how "you" will like it. I personally love mine. And you will get arguments both ways. I have 3 other bikes with suspension, and they all have ups and downs!

Justin

thanks for this. :)

Knew a guy who dreamed of sailing around the world so spent 10 years handcrafting a dutch schooner out of timber. honest to god the first time he went sailing in it he got violently sea sick and sold the boat. Dream over it wasn't for him. The thing is he done it and even though he found it wasn't for him the experience and satisfaction can never be replaced. If you want to do a hard tail and you decide not to because of your questionnaire then you will always be wondering what if. If you build it then find you are not into hard tails you can always sell it and with the wealth of knowledge and self satisfaction you have gained, well, you just might come up with a groundbreaking new idea and start a new craze.

innaresting!

Can't wait to see how it feels. I'm gonna have kind of a fat ass seat on mine though. Sprung fat ass seat.

bro, build a bratstyle bike. hardtail looks but with suspension. i just started a thread on my brat project. i'll post pics every weekend.

Back