Attempted Hack

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
I was notified by xs650 Forum that a certain IP address tried unsuccessfully to enter my account..I traced that IP number to a certain Redstation Limited based in London England.
Perhaps some of you fellows in GB have heard of this?
At any rate, be on alert.

Nothing to worry about. Just spammers trying to get into accounts. If your password is even somewhat decent, you'll be fine. Worst case they get into your account and send some spammy PMs to people. The only accounts they've gotten into so far had passwords like '1234' or 'password'.

I could require an image verification to log in, but people would hate that. I could disable the email. I already disabled all traffic from China. That helped but didn't quite stop it.

It's best not to have any words in the password
Most of my passwords I can't even remember and I keep them on a a couple sandisk cards . Just pop one in usb and all my passwords are there to copy and paste

While I agree that you should have a secure password for almost everything online, I don't require passwords to be overly complicated for the site. Forum databases don't contain sensitive information like credit cards or social security numbers. And unless you put them in your profile, there are not even real names or addresses for user accounts. Make your password stronger than '1234' or 'password' or other simple words and you should be fine. Typically having uppercase and lowercase letters and couple of numbers is all you'll need. If you want to put a couple of special characters in there that's even better. :thumbsup:

Travis, how long a password do you allow?

I use LastPass and it can create new passwords up to 100 characters long.

Just wondering.

Didn't find much info on password configurations in the FAQ pages.

Last edited:
ok im going to show my age but what do the hackers get out of trying to get into a site like this..its not like there is credit card info etc..just don't understand??? after all its not hard to join???? its 1 reason don't have any financial info on my computer let alone online banking etc

Probably just a proving ground that they are able to hack a website.

Then they start refining there technique.

Bastards!

Brian902, I believe the max is 200 because that is the word-wrap limit.

FLEA, It's a numbers game for them. They are sending spam private messages to get you go to a car parts website or something similar. If they can hack lets say 0.02% of the forum accounts across the internet, and send 30-50 spam private messages on each account, and 2% of those people click the link and .1% of those people buy something from said link, they make money. All of those numbers are made up, but you get the idea.

I am 120 miles from london I can get there in a hour and 15 minutes on my CBR tell me where there at I will sort them out was bought up in the east end that like the BRONKS so i know what to do Give me a name a number call back the SEAL teams Funkys on the MOFO:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Looks like member Loch (out of Corpus Christi) account may be hacked.
I and several other members received one of those "questionable" offerings,
with an unusual link address...

Almost didn't see this.

If anyone gets a spammy PM, click the report button:
report.gif

It's located in the upper right corner of the PM.

Thanks.

Back