Cracked case and date of manufacture XS1 002226

XS1UK4digitvin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm restoring an XS1 and and am looking for advice. At some point a previous owner has reassembled the crankcases without locating the crankshaft main bearing dowels in the roller bearings, and has pushed the dowels back into the cases, causing small cracks to appear. I have had the dowels spark eroded out and replaced but the cracks are, of course still there! My thinking is that because the mains are roller (rather thaen plain) the cases themselves will not be taking too much load and so the cracks will not be a problem if I am sensible with the throttle. What do you think; Am I about to build a hand grenade or can I sleep easy at night?

By the way, I'm based in England and will have to register my ex-Califronia bike on a local UK 'age related' plate so the exact month/year of manufacture makes a differeence to what plate I get. Does anyone know exactly what month/year engine/frame number 002226 was made?

Thanks for any thoughts...

On the build date it will be marked on the lable on the steering head. If it still has the lable.
on the case I'm not sure. There is a steel insert in the case where the bearings ride. I have heard of people putting an engine together that way then torn down and put together right and run many happy miles, they didn't mention cracks though. I might try putting the lower end together and checking for runnout and endplay or anything else you can think of.
If it seems ok. Build it. If there is any problems with it, you will probably notice it before a catastrophic failure occurs.
If you feel uncomfortable doing this then a different set of cases may be a good idea.

I think the 71's were before the white sticky neck label became standard. If it's that hard to find the build date the government won't know either, make up a date and lie like the dickens if needed.

Thanks for the replies. XSLeo: I do have a spare set of cases but I am keen to retain the engine number so am going to go for it, checking and measuring along the way as you suggest. No label survives on the frame so I like your advice, gggGary! Regards Andy

Unfortunately lying to the DVLA wont work :(
When I got an age related plate for my Triumph ( to get a road tax free bike, pre 1972), I had to have an official letter from the Triumph owners club, who confirmed the date of manufacture. The Triumph owners club have all the official records for Triumphs but I dont think anyone has them for old Yamaha's :(

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone is interested, I had got cold feet and had the cracks welded, then dressed the welds back to ensure piston/crankcase clearance was retained. £20 well spent I think. Bottom end is now built and hopefully I'll get the top end back on soon, re-ringed, new seals ready to go.

Attachments

• xs1 zoom.JPG
    xs1 zoom.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 122
I am not sure what month this was manufactured but it is a first production year model. From #002515 the carb assembly was changed and from #002487 the front guide holder was changed. These are all genuine XS1s from the first production year. You can read this from the official XS1/XS1B or F/XS2 combined parts manual.

Back