Great forum! Looking for year-by-year list of changes...

Maddog Marty

Alotta Patina
Reaction score
I've done some searching and cannot seem to find a year-by-year list of changes that Yamaha made to the XS650. Surely there is a list out there that describes the improvements and changes, year-by-year. Can someone point me to it? Thanks in advance...

I would like to see that list put together.

Then you nonbelievers would see graphically and indisputably how superior the '81 and up is. Might as well include availability of parts in that list...

1970-good looking bike> > > > > > > > ugly as fuck-1983

This is priceless.

To the OP: I've never seen such a list, and I imagine that if every single little change was listed year to year it would be quite the compilation of information. You can find some info on major changes like carb, motor, frame, wheel, etc. Is there a certain thing that you are looking for?

Thanks, Weekend Rider, and others. The Australian site is pretty much what I was looking for, but I'd still like to see a listing of parts differences year-by-year. A hopeful dream, it appears. I know it must exist, somewhere! (Perhaps Yamaha archives deep in Japan, somewhere...)

1970-1973, 256 Engine, disc or drum brakes
1974-1979, 447 Engine, disc or drum brakes, mag or spoke wheels
1980-1983, 556? Engine, disc or drum brakes, mag or spoke wheels, TCI ignition

Early models handle like crap but look the best (see notes above) later models handle better but started to get detuned for epa regs. Mag wheels with dual discs weigh half a ton. Thats about it.. oh, different carbs sizes.

FIN.

That info is contained rather completely within the heads of several of the denizens here. Specific questions? Just ask. Or you can use one of several complete parts breakdowns available online from several OEM vendors, compare parts numbers year to year. I just did that while researching single pin vs double pin Honda 1100 Shadow engines. Turns out several sources had the change date wrong.
Of course if you want to do the leg work I bet Trav will be happy to add it to the tech section!

O.K., let me get started with my first "rube" question: This is the first I've seen of any reference to "256, 447 and 556" engines...what's up with that? I thought they were all identical except for carburetion on the later ones (and engine cosmetics. of course - is that it?).
TIA, guys...really appreciated. Looking forward to getting my new-to-me B model here to So Cal so I can get my ham-fists on it!

O.K., let me get started with my first "rube" question: This is the first I've seen of any reference to "256, 447 and 556" engines...what's up with that? I thought they were all identical except for carburetion on the later ones (and engine cosmetics. of course - is that it?).
TIA, guys...really appreciated. Looking forward to getting my new-to-me B model here to So Cal so I can get my ham-fists on it!

Piston to Pin heights and piston dome heights are the main differences. Decompression lever on the older models so outer left valve cover has cast extension to hold the cable end.. and inside is different for the decompression setup. Cam chain tensioners are different also from early to late models. I think compression is different on older to newer years. (XS John were art thou?)... 1980 gets TCI ignition so the points covers are empty on both sides. Cosmetically they are the same with some minor differences.

Engine top and bottom ends swap out from year 1975 to 1983 far as I know... with the exception of points or TCI ignition.

Back