Split carb mounts after 3 months

KevC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All
Thought I would post these pictures of my carb mounts. they were only 3 months old & low mileage. They are XS performance parts & were replaced free of charge. but they never came back with an explanation, so keep an eye on yours! and I thought it might be a gasket :doh:

inletRubber1.jpg InletRubber2.jpg InletRubber3.jpg InletRubber4.jpg

Hi All
Thought I would post these pictures of my carb mounts. they were only 3 months old & low mileage. They are XS performance parts & were replaced free of charge. but they never came back with an explanation, so keep an eye on yours! and I thought it might be a gasket :doh:

View attachment 267 View attachment 268 View attachment 269 View attachment 270

Are you using separate aircleaners or an airbox? Depending on the carbs you are using, they may not support the extra weight if you are using small K&N's or something like that, instead of the rear being supported by an airbox.

Hi Mule
Im running BS38's and XS performance K&N copies. They are not supported, another little job to do, but the previous ones were running the same filters and had lasted years. I now see that MikesXS now runs a warning "not for use with ethanol" (tho I only ran standard pump gas as available here in the UK) and my supplier www.xsshop.de in Germany no longer stocks this type.
Makes me wonder :confused:

- yes, had the same problem and found ruediger not very pleasant to communicate with, i dont buy from him any more...instead i use heiden in netherlands and twins inn in germany...mostly the product is the same, however they are more reasonable people...

I did ask if he could inform me of anything he found when I sent them back but heard nothing. Heiden stock more so I will start using them, twins inn is a new one to me tho, Ill have a look, Cheers inxs

- wolfgang is an ok bloke but can be hard to get hold of - better by email

webmaster@twins-inn.de

http://www.twins-inn.de/

- have met the guys at heiden and find them ok too - theres a very active XS club in the netherlands-great party animals-there has however apparently been a difference in opinion between factions so maybe there will be 2 clubs - even better :D

- wolfgang can speak english ok, pm me if you need any help with the language

- also here, although ive never dealt with these guys before, nor met them at any runs - i do know that they were the XS shop some years ago

http://www.xs-laden.de/

- the heiden site is in english and typical of nederlaender very good english communicators

- wolfgang can speak english ok, pm me if you need any help with the language

- also here, although ive never dealt with these guys before, nor met them at any runs - i do know that they were the XS shop some years ago

http://www.xs-laden.de/

- the heiden site is in english and typical of nederlaender very good english communicators

Meanwhile, to actually fix the problem, I suggest some hard aluminum manifolds with the proper angle and a short length of the proper diameter Gates hose. One hose clamp on the manifold and one on the carb will stay together till the next Ice-Age.

Guess that would be the ultimate solution mule, just had a quick look online & they are special order for BS38 carbs at about $140, tho available for VM34/36 off the shelf, then there's buying the VM34's :confused:

Saw them at Heiden Tuning in Hollland for 95 euro's which I think is about $140
650 Central has them at $100 (most things seem much cheaper in the states)

- everything priced in euros is expensive...pounds are worse...but thats just a fact of life

Here is another solution from tc bros seems a little expensive but sure would look nice. I just bought the problem carb holders from mikes xs about 2 months ago and havent used them yet but i will until they crack. Thanks for the warning guys I will be watching them.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/id37.html

Here is another solution from tc bros seems a little expensive but sure would look nice. I just bought the problem carb holders from mikes xs about 2 months ago and havent used them yet but i will until they crack. Thanks for the warning guys I will be watching them.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/id37.html

Expensive??!!?? Man, a lot of work goes into those, plus clamps, buying the correct hose, cuttin', packaging, etc. Wow. I guess if they could source everything from China, they could get them down to $68.00.

I just had a bunch made in two pieces, meaning a flat flange, an angled tube, welding and then I get them polished and clear anodized. I'll have $75.00 in a pair prior to hoses and clamps and thats not making one penny.

... I guess if they could source everything from China, they could get them down to $68.00.

- hahahahahahahaha-nice one - glad not everyone does a mikesxs

Seems cheap to me, Ill have to look into shipping & duty for importing to the UK.
They are similar to the ones Ive seen at Heiden Tuning in Holland at 95 euros http://www.xs650.biz/p/36/mo74-cg|29=1/racing-parts
I believe the ones from MikesXS are of dubious quality but there are other ones, made by TourMax of Japan, available other here. Which I have in stock for when the XS Performance ones split! :thumbsup:

KevC: Did you post a message about this at 650rider before it went down? I replied to a message there. I can't remember if it was you. I am (was?) 80xs650 there too, and also at the XS650 Garage.

I had the same problem as KevC with my MikesXS carb holders on my XS650D. The first set looked like KevC's after 3 months. They finally agreed to send a replacement set, but I had to agree to install them with new gaskets. I did that, and again after about 3 months, they look the same as the first set.

I'm also on the YAM650 mailing list. Don James of JBM Industries in Kent, Ohio (www.jbmindustries.com) posted a reply to a discussion there regarding this same problem, and mentioned that he might make some carb holders. I sent him an original set from a 1980 XS650SG, an original set from my XS650D, and my first failed set of MikesXS pieces for the D. Don has just made and sent to me for evaluation (about a week ago) a set for the BS38 carbs, and is sending me a set of holders for the BS34 carbs.

Here are pictures of one of the JBM 38mm holders next to one of my failed MikesXS 38mm holders. The JBM holder is always on the right in these pictures:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/80gs750/JBM/Carb Holders/

Here are pictures of the JBM 34mm holders with the vacuum barb installed:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/80gs750/JBM/Carb Holders with Vacuum/

Here is what Don has to say about the durability of these carb holders:

"No type of gasoline I have seen will affect this rubber, nor will ozone or sunlight. We have been making them for Light Sport Aircraft using pump gas and Aviation gas.They should last longer than the originals. Additives in the gas I don't know. Carb Cleaners can be very strong stuff, and I wouldn't put any rubber in that nor add it to my fuel tank. We are making these from our TSR compound used for aviation engines. I have put this rubber into straight MEK and Acetone in an attempt to reclaim the metal insert. It will swell up, but will not come off, so I usually set fire to it and burn it off."

Price will be $54 per pair without vacuum barbs, $58 per pair with vacuum barbs. Shipping additional.

Don would like to get an idea of how many people are interested in these. Here is a short survey you can fill out to help determine the interest in the carb holders. The information goes only to Don and me:

EDIT 04/02/2010

I am taking the survey down, since Don now has the carb holders on his website. You can contact him using the e-mail link there. The JBM Industries web page for the carb holders is:

http://www.jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html

Don't forget to look at his CV carb diaphragms while you are there.

END EDIT 04/02/2010

These will be available in the next few days.

I haven't had a chance to install these on my D yet, as it has been very cold here in central Ohio, but I hope to this weekend. The quality seems to be very good.

Sorry to make this my first post here, but it looks like a lot of people have this same problem, and need an economical solution.

Thanks.

Wade Dunham

Last edited:
Hooes (can't remember how to spell the name) racing does solid manifolds in several sizes, but again you have to buy after market carbs.

80xs650
Yes, I posted my pictures of the split carb holders on both 650Rider & the garage. Got quite a response on 650rider, Mike from MikesXS commented that this was a problem on all makes of carb holder from all suppliers as they were all using the same type of rubber. He was looking into getting them made from a different type to solve the problem.
I believe that this is a hidden problem that most XS owners will soon discover. :(
A big thankyou to Don James of JBM and you for doing something about it because I think we will all need them if your running standard 38's or 34's :thumbsup:
So please everyone take the time to fill in the survey from JBM and lets get some decent carb holders on the market :D

Back