less and less freedom

lol no seat belt don't but if I'm in an accident it cause'e me to twist my lower back and could cause danage to plates in lower back.

From what I have seen from some videos some people have been lucky enough to take across the country lately, your lucky you didn't get wresteled to the ground and tazed to near death while he yelled "stop resisting".
jefft

lol no seat belt don't but if I'm in an accident it cause'e me to twist my lower back and could cause danage to plates in lower back.

Hi Dog,
see your doctor, mebbe you can get a medical exemption note?
Mind you, if your vehicle has air bags, they'll wreck you up for sure if you ain't wearing a lap-diagonal seat belt when they deploy.
BTW, air bag + seat belt saved my eldest boy's sorry arse in a head-on collision.
His car was totaled while he walked away unharmed.

Its a free country and I hope it remains that way. A man can still decide in some states whether to wear a helmet or not. I have worked in ER's from Chicago to Beaumont and seen my share of motorcycle accidents. Do you family a favor and wear a brain bucket. Stuff happens and even though it may not have been your fault, you will still pay the price.
jefft

re:helmet laws
jefft since you are closer to the industry would you have any statistics on motorcycle related deaths from body trunk injuries as opposed to deaths from head injuries?
A helmet on a head that has been severed . . .
A helmet on a head with a body that is crushed. . .
A helmet on a head with a fence post run from bum to chest. . .
A helmet on a head with a broken neck. . . .
There are just so many other injuries that can have just as devastating long term effects I don't think a helmet law has benefits I would trade for my freedom to decide.
That said, I wear a helmet by choice regardless of "The Law" in an area.
You (meaning the forum populace in general not a singular person) can decide for/on your own.

re: loss of freedom
Yes and it is only going to get worse.

I'm no expert on the numbers but I have heard that 50% of all fatal accidents on motorcycles were caused by brain injury and in a third of those cases the brain injury was the only reason. Enough to get my attention.
jefft

I'm no expert on the numbers but I have heard that 50% of all fatal accidents on motorcycles were caused by brain injury and in a third of those cases the brain injury was the only reason. Enough to get my attention.
jefft

I wouldn't be surprised to see helmet laws in every state in my lifetime. It's like everything else, if enough people splatter their self the government is going to step in and legislate to save us from ourselves. Head injuries are a big hot topic these days from NFL to NASCAR. Heck, I never heard of a bull rider wearing headgear but its not uncommon at all anymore.

jefft

On a more positive note. Helmets have got better looking than jack wore in Easy Rider .

In the old days, we would advise customers that, once your helmet has 'boinked' on something hard, it's no good. The shell may still look fine, but the internal structure has fragmented from absorbing the impact (similar to current uni-body cars). Wonder if that's still true...?

At one bike shop I go to, this is still standard advice TwoMany.
But I wonder if any actually follow that advice?

^^^ yes it is. Helmet manufacturers rate them for a single impact, including being dropped from various heights (depends on man/model).

although we may have laws, we have a nice life here (america). bombs are being dropped on playgrounds, little girls being kidnapped and killed for going to school. murders taking place because of religious and political beliefs. so many horrible things going on. we have the sweet life. it could be a lot worse.

Back