after clutch adjustment kick totally and solidly locked up

eosdelb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again everyone,
I stopped at a cycle shop where a man who claimed to have a great deal of knowledge of xs650s watched me pull in. He said as I got off my bike. "I noticed your bike is still pulling after you pull in the clutch." I told him that it is hard to get into neutral but I didnt notice the pulling. He showed me pics of a xs650 that he built back in the 70's or 80's on torn out pages of an easy rider magazine. Im sure there was a bike there but that was the best lookin gal I have ever seen in an easyrider.
As I was getting ready to leave he said he would adjust the clutch for me. He ran the handle part all the way in and then he broke loose the locknutand set screw and ran the screw in til it touched and then backed it off an 1/8th of a turn. He tightened the locknut and went back to the handlebar and where he adjusted it back out.
Now my kick is locked up solid. you can pull in the clutch and it will go down but after it comes back up it is locked again. It will move a little a little ways but it is banging against something.
By the way at the handlebar the clutch cable is adjusted all the way out. I have a new old stock 8" over yamaha high bar cable.
Is it time for friction plates? I did ride the bike down there. It was working.

Did you ride it home? I'm not really clear on what your trying to say. Your kickstart arm is frozen? If that is it, I'm thinking it is just a matter of two things at once. I don't see adjusting the wormgear as the problem. I would take the right case cover off and inspect the kickstarter and you can check your clutch discs at the same time

Posted via Mobile

I always put mine in neutral before I kick it. If it's still hard to kick then you have some internal problem.

Thanks for the help. No I didnt ride it home. It wouldnt start. The battery had 12.5 volts but the kick wouldnt go past a certain point and the starter couldnt turn it. I had used the starter 10 minutes earlier when I left my house. I got the bike back in neutral when I pulled into the parking lot.

Well I guess if I replace it all with new stuff it will be new when Im done.

Last edited:
Well the bike magically healed itself. I have no idea what was wrong. I have no idea why its right. One of those things that you know is going to happen again. You just dont know when or how far away from home you will be when it happens.

Back