locked gas tank ( no key ) Where to get one?

I did that to both of my special caps. Works great. Leaving the key lock in there even with it disabled will let most people think itneeds a key.
I did it on the one because some one turn the key with out pushing down and prettwel sheared the pin off the tumbler and was a real pian to get open.
I used that fix and it worked so well I did the one that worked right too.
Easy to do and works so well.
Leo

I lost the key for my 75, I removed the tumblers from both the tank and seat locks. I replaced the switch with one from the farm supply, same switch they want $40 for in the catalogs I got for $16.
I use any key to open the tank and seat.

XSLeo,
Can you tell me what kind of LEDs you used on your tails,brake and turns?
Thanks,
wannarat

I got my LED's from www.superbrightleds.com and PEP Boys.
I started with a tail light for a truck, item #ST-x61. 61 led's, 4 in round tail/brake light. In modifing it to fit my tailight I broke the circuit board and a lot of the LED's stopped working. I found one like it but with 19 LED's at PEP Boys and it fit much easier.
For the turns I wanted all the LED's to point straight back, I can't find them on the site right now but they are a square circuit board with 36 LED's on the board. With pigtail wires that ended in a bulb base that plugs right in the socket in the light.
Now I would use the 45 LED tower bulb for the turns. 1156-x45-T They also make an 1157 version for the brake/tail light. 1157-x45-T
Also get the LF1-S- flat flasher. Need it to get the LED turns to flash. It has a plastic body around the flat blades. Remove the blades from the plastic. The flat blades will plug right in where the stock flasher was. Just hook the red wire to the brown wire in the socket and the black to the brown/white.
Leo

Greetings. Just picked up an 81' XS6560SH. Date of build is 12/80. It has a numbered key that may or not be the original. When I push it down and try to turn it, the locking pin fails to extend, so I can not lock the forks. The key starts and stops the MC but it will not engage the steering lock. Removed and lubricated it, but it still will not extend more then 1/64" from the closed position. It is loose but feels like there may be a tumbler that is not falling into alignment. Any suggestions??

- - - it still will not extend more then 1/64" from the closed position. It is loose but feels like there may be a tumbler that is not falling into alignment. Any suggestions??

Hi dpar and welcome,
the key will only fully turn into the "lock" position when the steering is at one particular angle.
You gotta keep pressure on the key as you wiggle the bars until everything lines up to let the locking pin slide all the way into place.
And beware the "park" position that's just a small extra click to the left.
The "park" position turns the tail light on to run your battery flat.
And that's easy to do.
Found that out the first and only time I ever used the steering lock.

Fred, thanks for the info. I just tried it. I tried all everything and then took the key switch off and tried to get the pin to extend, but it only moved out about 1/32," if that. The key moves, and is loose, but it may be that one of the tumblers is still "locked." The ignition ON/OFF portion works fine though. Ever heard of anything like that? I searched everywhere for info, but there is little or no information regarding a problem like this. This forum is GREAT as it covers just about every aspect of maintenance and service for the XS650, but not knowing how the switch is supposed to work is throwing me for a loop. Ever had one apart?

Hi dpar,
I never had my keyswitch apart because it's never acted up.
OK, there's 4 positions for the key:- off, on, lock & park.
And there's 3 separate systems:- the lock, the electrical connections and the mechanical locking pin.
I'd suggest removing the switch from the bike and dismantling it to see what's not working right.
From what you describe I'd guess that it's not the lock itself, more likely it's the locking pin hanging up.

just to add a note to this old thread . On my 79 special ll I have to slightly press down on the key and the spring loaded tumbler to get my key to turn to the Steering lock and Park positions. I assumed that this was normal ? anyway it works with my switch

Hi peanut,
the switch also works that way on my Heritage Special.
You hafta push down on the key so the lock barrel drops down mebbe 1/4" before it'll turn to the park and lock switch positions.
I went out to the garage to check on it and tried the switch just to be sure.
Key went in and pushed down OK but still it wouldn't turn. WTF, eh?
Then I remembered. Back in 1995 I switched the bike to Timken head races.
As part of the install I tapped the headrace tube to install grease nipples so I could re-grease the Timkens without doing a fork teardown.
Then I realized that pumped in grease would be forced through the steering lock hole and gubble out everywhere so I decided to block the steering tube's end.
Then Mr. Stupid took over. Instead of simply shoving a wine bottle cork up the tube I put a steel slug inside there and welded it in place through the steering lock hole.
Which is why my steering lock don't work no more.

Hi peanut,
the switch also works that way on my Heritage Special.
You hafta push down on the key so the lock barrel drops down mebbe 1/4" before it'll turn to the park and lock switch positions.
I went out to the garage to check on it and tried the switch just to be sure.
Key went in and pushed down OK but still it wouldn't turn. WTF, eh?
Then I remembered. Back in 1995 I switched the bike to Timken head races.
As part of the install I tapped the headrace tube to install grease nipples so I could re-grease the Timkens without doing a fork teardown.
Then I realized that pumped in grease would be forced through the steering lock hole and gubble out everywhere so I decided to block the steering tube's end.
Then Mr. Stupid took over. Instead of simply shoving a wine bottle cork up the tube I put a steel slug inside there and welded it in place through the steering lock hole.
Which is why my steering lock don't work no more.

tsk tsk ....go and sit on the naughty step Fred:rolleyes:

tsk tsk ....go and sit on the naughty step Fred:rolleyes:
Hi peanut,
no, it's a good thing!
In the 21 years since I welded the steering tube's keyslot shut the bike has never once had it's battery run flat through inadvertently turning it's parking light on.
There's other ways to run a battery flat though. Alas that Mr. Stupid is so disastrously clever at finding them.

Hi peanut,
no, it's a good thing!
In the 21 years since I welded the steering tube's keyslot shut the bike has never once had it's battery run flat through inadvertently turning it's parking light on.
There's other ways to run a battery flat though. Alas that Mr. Stupid is so disastrously clever at finding them.

I wonder how many thousands of new XS650 owners over the past 35 years have run their batteries flat because they didn't know about the parking light !....
I know I'm one. ............. I now disconnect the big red wire bullet connector from the battery every time I put the bike away
One of these days I'll actually sit and read through an owners manual ......in the meantime I'll just carry on in blissful ignorance.

Back