XS650 Electric Start System

gggGary;
That does not sound good...............not even trying to engage..............must be broken/sheared parts :yikes:..............should be visable after clutch is off...............keep us informed:)

So the good news the clip was off. I will probably do an XS John fix'r'up special.
Not so clear news where are those pieces of spring from and why is it in so many pieces????

starter.jpg

starter1.jpg

Take a look on the back side of the main clutch basket. There are 5 or 6 little coil springs that act as shock damper for when the clutch engages. The XS uses this method instead of a cush mount on the rear sprocket. The springs can break and that's what those pieces look like. There is a repair kit but for the same amount of money, maybe even less, you can get a whole used clutch assembly off eBay.

back side of the main clutch basket. There are 5 or 6 little coil springs that act as shock damper for when the clutch engages. The springs can break and that's what those pieces look like.

BINGO!

There is a repair kit but for the same amount of money, maybe even less, you can get a whole used clutch assembly off eBay.
Or move my stool three steps left and pull the clutch from the engine with a fragged piston.
It's on it's way back together. Thanks for pointing the way.

My issue right now is the solenoid engages , volts to the starter side but thats all . No crank even jumping the solenoid. I have swapped the original starter with a newer one last year and it worked for a while. New cables and tight. I think something else is going on. Next on the list. Great write up though inxs.

Even with a voltage reading on the starter side of the relay, the relay contacts my be burnt enough so you get a voltage reading yet not carry enough to crank the starter. Try a different relay.

I have a 1980 XS 650. I removed the Electric starter motor and sealed the hole. I now try to kick start it but it just moves the front sprocket and clutch. Does it need the Electric starter motor installed in order for it to be kick started?

The electric starter has nothing incommon with the kickstarter.
If all that moves is the front sprocket and clutch let go of the clutch lever.
The kick start works in neutral with the clutch engaged.
When you use the kickstart the kicker engages the gears in the tranny this turns the input shaft of the tranny, this turns the clutch hub. with the clutch lever out the hub turns the plates and the plates turn the basket which is geared to the crank shaft.
The electric starter uses gears and a shaft to engage the ring gear cut into the right side crank wheel.

So I looked at the push rod and it's about a 1/4" in from where it should be settled in the clutch adjuster. The ball bearing in the clutch adjuster is there. I'm positive the clutch was not engaged when I attempted to kick start it. I have the carbs off but it should still crank and suck in air right?

Is there any test with a meter you can do while the starter is in the bike? Mine is locked (i jumped it right from the battery to the terminal and it won't spin) I want to see if it's a problem with the motor or assembly. Starts fine with kick...but...

Is there any test with a meter you can do while the starter is in the bike? Mine is locked (i jumped it right from the battery to the terminal and it won't spin) I want to see if it's a problem with the motor or assembly. Starts fine with kick...but...

Probably the best way to find the problem is to remove the starter to see what's wrong with it.

Some stupid little questions:
1. Does the starter need to be removed to remove the motor...for some reason I remember reading that somewhere.
2. What is the lower left part
IMG_0165_640_480-1.jpg

and do I need it if I'm keeping the starter.
3. Also in the above pic can I get rid of the 2 parts on the right if I'm keeping the starter

Thanks.

If I recall correctly the part you are referring to is the turn signal canceler. Hard to tell from the picture. It mounts on a tab under the tank forward of the horn it seems. I removed mine when I swapped out the turn signal flasher for a new one. It was recommended to me by more experienced members whose opinions I respect not to use it as their behavior tends to become intermittent as they get old. Might turn your signal off when you don't want it to. :thumbsup:

CDNTX650- I have only tested one out of the bike. Of course it's sort of a pan because you have to drain the oil. My original one gave out and I replaced it with one bought off ebay and it worked for a year. This one has stopped now. Doesn't spin when hooked directly to the battery. I think I'm going to try to rebuild it if I can get it apart without destroying it. I know they'll come apart. Just have to get a correct JIS bit into the screws.

Lots of stuff going on in this thread at the same time. Some of these things might be better off in their own thread.

I have built a bobber using a xs650 yamaha and need some advice on wiring with a tci ignition. it will roll over but will not spark. I would appreciate any help or diagrams that might be out there

Back