warped cases

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am ready to put the bottom end of my 79 XS650 engine together. It seems to me the top case may be warped because the crank does not sit flush in the case half. When one end of the shaft is seated on the locating pin, the other side is slightly up in the air, as though the middle of the case is higher than the sides, this is with the pins properly located.

Will things even out if I put the halves together and torque the bolts or do I need to pick up new case halves? Should I just try it and see what happens?

Also, it being winter and living in Minnesota I can only get my garage temperature up to about 50f. I did not notice any temperature range on the package but will the threebond still work well at lower temperatures? Or should I wait on this until the temps are warmer?

Thank you,
Sherwin

How big of a gap are we talking?
I know the cases for these bikes are matched together, are they both from the same bike?

Sounds like somethings not seated properly.

Check the crank and pins again, there will be something hanging up.

Do the cases mate together well without the crank in place? that should tell you where the real problem lays.

I'll have to double check if the cases go together well without the crank in place. I'm pretty sure though it is not hung up on anything like the pins when it is in place.

Thanks for the help so far.

Sherwin

On the cases there are numbers stamped in the cases on the clutch side of the cases. On the case where the end of the transmission output shaft bearing rides. The numbers should match.
I would lift the crank out and be sure the bearing seats and pins are clean. Check the holes in the bearing races too.
When installing the crank be sure the right holes go over the pins. There is a mark on the bearings that will set flush with the case sealing surface when on the pins right. It can be a bit of a pain to get all of them right.

Last edited:
Back