oil filter

inxs

xx
Reaction score
- well, one of the most vulnerable aspects of the XS650 is the main oil filter - its positioned and designed for maximum damage potential, the ultimate in planned obselescence - a jet of pressurised hot oil blasts directly into a non reinforced filter sieve - i bet this was one of yamahas hottest selling parts (along with "plastic" swing arm bushings)

P5130021.jpg

- fortunately the secondary filter, the smaller one by the oil pump, is not too bad and serves as a necessary back-up - i'll bet this has saved the ass of many lazy PO's who've not been too maintenance oriented

579.jpg

- there are other possibilities however to afford better protection

...repair the old filter and make one of these for the unprotected corner

P5250016.jpg

- fit it so

P5130017.jpg

...new filters-but be careful, control them before you use them-here is an unuseable brand new filter from mikesxs (that i was required to pay 2 x postage for)-the gasket was also VERY badly cut

P5240007.jpg

the surfaces are not parallel and the whole left upper corner is open

P5240005.jpg

the reason the 2 surfaces are not parallel-this magnet holder was not quality controlled

...modified filters...sump...external, spin on...no deeper than the main-stand mount... http://www.cokaste.de/4655/4682.html ...original filter w/o gasket (mikesxs) euros32, gasket euro4...spin on cartridge euros8...

P6120005.jpg

P6120010.jpg

...and here, under pressure from the nederlaenders, a new addition to the filter, aint competition a bitch ... a bypass valve for if the filter blocks-this is a problem when the filter is on the suction side

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

...remote...front mounted...spin on...

1168320.jpg

...sump filter...internal...BMW cartridge...

P9010007.jpg

P9010008.jpg

...oil sump filter...the spacer also deepens the sump, incr oil capacity...

P9010008.jpg

...new side filter...larger cartridge , cooling fins on the cover...

566.jpg

filterjerry3.jpg

filterjerry2.jpg

file-2.jpg

- another oil filter system, this time from nederland...hein weijers
- uses the BMW type paper microfilter from KTM620, similar to that used above
- specs
- filter resistance drop 0.1 bar
- saftey valve set at 0.5 bar
- oil pump 0.9 bar

oliefilter1b.jpg

...safety valve set at 0.5 bar-bypasses filter if it gets blocked ie from poor maintenance

oliefilter1a.jpg

...filter mount

oliefilter1c.jpg

...paper micro filter

- this is not a bad alternative to remote spin on auto filters as spoken about above for deep set hard tails...the deep set spin on filter i use on my bike, although not as deep as the pipes, would be disastrous for these applications

- added protection from crankshaft draught

oliescherm2.jpg

oliescherm3.jpg

- secured by safety valve

borgingdraad.jpg

- securing safety valve

...although this is an experimental part several riders are already using it - the only concern i have is that it is floating - ie not fixed at both ends - can it, over time handle the infamous XS vibrations?...only time will tell

- what do you want to know?

- i run with this and love it, oil changes are a breeze, filter itself is cheap and available from any good auto parts supplier

- comes from a renault but is a std size, spin-on, spin-off

- the centrestand bracket is lower

- it sits at the lowest point of the motor so is not affected by crankshaft induced turbulence

- can only be destroyed if you carelessly mount a kerb or ride trials-badly

- i wouldnt recommend it for low-slung choppers...my bikes are more streettracker oriented

- the biggest problem with XS oil filtration is that the main filter is on the suction side, block your filter youre sucking air, most systems are filtered on the pressure side which is why i like the honda filter mod from mikesxs-one of the very few articles i consider worth buying from him

- the XS oil pump can produce large ammounts of pressure but on the suction side about 1.0 bar suction...these spin-on filters have an inbuilt bypass valve but it doesnt kick in until 1.5 bar so would ideally be positioned on the other side of the pump...this is no problem if you regularly change your filter-say every 2nd oil change or more

Last edited:
Hi inxs
A couple of quick questions reference the oil filter set up above. As the sites in German, do they provide the modified sump plate and wots the overall initial cost?
Cheers Kev

- price is i think 80 euros or close to it plus post if you buy it from Kalle http://www.cokaste.de/4655/4682.html ...he makes them and others such as der muede-on ebay-sell them

- you need to provide him with a sump plate

- if i remember, youre in Herts so no big deal

- for those stateside probably the best way is to buy one on german ebay thru paypal and have it sent direct to him

- yea...i folded it over and soldered it up so it didnt vibrate to pieces...i used copper because that was simply what i had at hand

Has anybody seen this setup? Is it any good?filter.jpg
Although I'm putting forward controls on, and the filter might get in the way.

- have never seen it but requires slight modification of your casing...although i think it looks real ugly, in many ways it it is a practical mod...there is quite a stammtisch discussion going on here wrt oil filters, the differences between the suction and push sides of the oil pump, the risks of filter blocking, saftey valves, filter pore size etc
- what i dont like about this is that if you drop your bike on the rhs, how are you going to ride on with a busted filter and quite possibly case...here it costs you personally a fortune if you leave oil on the street

dlabkeep, I think it looks fine and wouldn't worry about breaking the filter on a tip-over. You're not supposed to tip you bike over anyway. :D Plus the exhaust or forward controls would hit before the filter. And I don't think you'll have any problems running forwards with a setup like that. Your foot would probably be 6 inches in front the filter. Let us know if you find any more information on it.

Back