Just rode home a 82 xs650 (PICS added)

Fro-

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this site and new to cruiser type bikes (always had sportbikes). I bought this in running condition and rode it 50miles home with no prob. It does have some things wrong with it as to be expected so I have a few questions.
1. Which shop manual for this bike is the better one? Haynes, Clymer(sp), or other.
2. The previous owner told me about the 4th and 5th gear problems the bike had. 1st,2nd,3rd gear work great when you shift into 4th or 5th you have to be real easy on the shift lever if you pull up to hard with your toe it will not go into gear. Once that happens you have to shift back to 3rd and retry. (If your easy it upshifts fine) It downshifts properly.
This only happened to me 2times on the way home and that was with some city riding. I can get used to it the way it is but its not right. The previous owner just installed new clutch plates and adjusted clutch. Any idea on what could cause this??
This bike already has drag type bars installed and bigger (brandnew) Firestone tires on spoke rims. I'm happy with what I paid for it and have'nt rode in over a year and it felt great. I plan on doing a hardtail with a stretch (I'm 6'1) and some paint this winter and just ride. Thanks for any info and sorry to ramble. Fro

Last edited:
pictures are a neccessity here, you know. what did you pay for it? sounds like a great plan. as for the gears, maybe bent shift forks. id ont know.
welcome to the site. use the search function when u can. its all here.

Some will say Haynes. Others will say Clymer. I have both. I really like being able to check both books. It's a small investment to keep your scoot going. I bought mine used on Amazon for cheap, but that was quite a few years ago.

Here it is
0905101601a.jpg

0905101601b.jpg

I paid $1100.00 for it which is more than I was looking to spend but the po just put new firestone tires on it,New rear brakes,Diff. bars,New clutch plates, New speedo plus I've been looking for one that had not already been cut up or to nice to chop. It makes me happy and put a grin on my face riding home and thats all that matters.
Thanks for the info on the manuals and also Thank You for the link pumps.

lol I wouldn't have ever paid that much for it... but that's just the difference in the economy between the way northeast and... well, pretty much anywhere else. She sure has some purty tires though.

And what's the point of telling him that?

Welcome, glad you got the bike. Sometimes it's worth a little more to have a known runner. Get 'em to show you all these $800 runners.

Get one of the manuals, then pull the right side cover and check the pawl adjustment at the end of the shift drum. Your problem could be that simple-if it's out of adjustment it may not move the shift forks quite enough. :)

John

any ideas who makes those pipes... and possible jet settings, I have the same set of headers and exhaust... mine is a 79... and welcome to the site...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys. You also have to remember bike prices are gonna be higher when you can ride 365 days a year. Heck I would have had to spend at least $300.00 to get a $800.00 bike if I drove to the NE and picked it up.
I know for sure I could put this bike out in the front yard and sell it for $1500.00. But know way in hell I'm doing that. I gonna have fun with it.
Thanks for the info hooktool and newell I have no idea on the pipes or jet settings as of now but will be getting into that in the near future. I do know that it has no baffle and is loud.lol

It's all relative. One of the guys I work with paid $800 for the front brake setup, (single), for his Road King. He's happy. Your happy. It's all good.

Just don't see the point in being critical. He's happy, and new here, offer a welcome or answer to his questions, that's all.

John

Back