To Springer.... or Not to Springer..

Robbo

Robbo
Reaction score
G,day sports fans and assorted riff raff.. I know this has probably already been discussed a gazillion times but Im fairly new and its all new to me lol
The guys out there who are running springer front ends on their rides, any advice on that subject? Whether you would do it again or not? Pitfalls? Best brand? literally any knowledge you could share would be appreciated no end! Thanks guys you all rock.. :)

.. Robbo ..

If you decide to to do the swap keep you stock front end. Don't sell it. You will be needing it again

Posted via Mobile

I have a Denvers springer on my 650. I love the look, and wouldn't go back. As for the cost.... everyone has an opinion. I bought my springer for $200.00.... I am also running the stock front XS wheel. I don't run a front brake..... If you wanted a front then you would want to go with a raw or powder coated front end if you buy new. The reason I say that is if you decided to weld tabs for the front brake you didn't waste the cash on a chrome front end.

IMG_0911.jpg

I would run that denvers! But 99% of the people here are talking bout dna.

Posted via Mobile

The springer was bought originally from a swap meet. Then my buddy sat on it for a bit and then decided to sell it. Everyone seems to want to go the DNA route because of the price... sad thing is you can pick up Quality springers used for the same price

Thanks guys this is exactly the type of discussion and advice I was looking for.. Hooligans that bike looks bad coming along great love that springer your right its an awesome look! I guess I will start looking round at 2nd hand springers, any advice on specific size length etc I should be looking for to match up with the xs650?

Depends on what you are doing with the bike. A 2 under springer will be stock height of an XS. Mine was actually an 8 over... just chopped her down to the height I wanted. Most springers are for HD necks... 1". Run the XS tapered races with the 1" bearings. Don't buy the 1" bearings from Harley (ripoff), but 1" inner diameter trailer wheel bearings. I have the part # if you need them.

You can find Springers on the Chop Cult pretty regularly, or also on the Jockey Journal (just dont say Yamaha over there)

Yup keep an eye on chopcult for a springer. I swapped my stock 77 front end for a vintage 6" over and love the look.

I have ridden both and still love riding a spinger bike.

I'm just getting ready to do the bearings to fit that 21 this week.
1d7cbd24.jpg

Hi guys! I need to help me in my project I have an old xs650 71 with voodoo hardtail, I modify the neck and now this 35 * and I want to use a springer frontend. Does anyone know which is the most appropriate for this frame? Maybe over 4 "or 6" with a harley 21 wheel?

Back