metalwork / fabrication / mounts

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello. I wondered if you knew of any sites with good tutorials / guides or basic resources for anyone wanting to do basic bracket making / fabrication for their bikes?

Its my first build and I want to start making a few custom brackets for fitting stuff like ignition / speedo etc. I havent even a clue about what type of steel I should be buying or what the best tools are. Cutting techniques etc. I'm basically a custom build virgin!

Any link suggestions or books for that matter?

Cheers

get 1/8th mild steel sheet, and a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and a basic bi-metal holesaw kit.
Harbor freight is you friend. On the east coast, I think there equivalent is called' princess auto"(i think)
You really cant just learn about fabbing. you just do it. you will waste alot of materials, so buy double what you think you need for a project.
Try to buy at metal recyclers. dont buy from homedepot, or lowe's. that stuff is new from the mill, and costs too much. the recyclers buy leftover raw steel, scraps from demolishions. Much better deals there.
The recycler I go to has a area with all kinds of gauges, and wierd parts to machines. if you like to look at gizmos and whirlygigs, recyclers the place for you.

get 1/8th mild steel sheet, and a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and a basic bi-metal holesaw kit.
Harbor freight is you friend. On the east coast, I think there equivalent is called' princess auto"(i think)
You really cant just learn about fabbing. you just do it. you will waste alot of materials, so buy double what you think you need for a project.
Try to buy at metal recyclers. dont buy from homedepot, or lowe's. that stuff is new from the mill, and costs too much. the recyclers buy leftover raw steel, scraps from demolishions. Much better deals there.
The recycler I go to has a area with all kinds of gauges, and wierd parts to machines. if you like to look at gizmos and whirlygigs, recyclers the place for you.
Good advice. Just do it. Don't jump into anything structural without having someone else that is perhaps a little more knowledgeable check it though. A nice bench top drill press is a good tool to have too. And angus, I LOVE gizmos and whirlygigs too!:laugh:

Good advice. Just do it. Don't jump into anything structural without having someone else that is perhaps a little more knowledgeable check it though. A nice bench top drill press is a good tool to have too. And angus, I LOVE gizmos and whirlygigs too!:laugh:

AKA: finger pinchers!!
Doesnt even have to be a 'nice' bench top drill press. My HArbor Freight 60 dollar press has been wonderfull, even with a 1/32 runout.

I didnt get chance to say thanks guys, became a dad the other week and I've been somewhat consumed since! ;) I'll look into all you say. I'm in the UK by the way.

ha ha ha, thanks dudes. On first inspection NO, time is not something I have right now but I intend to wrestle some back! At least I'll be spending more time at home (near my bike) rather than in the pub! All dads should be able to fabricate a bracket! Thats why I need the advice! ;)

Congrats on fatherhood. I make all my small brackets twice. the first time I use card board. When the fit is right, I make it out of metal.

Back