polishing ?s

Car wax will keep it from oxidizing. Even WD40 or oils from the bike. The Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish works very well, especially on clean aluminum. It's supposed to clean and protect the finish from tarnishing. Just hit the aluminum every so often with the polish and then a quick wax and you will be good.

I'm with ember on this one. Putting a clear coat on polished aluminum might look good at first, but over time, it will chip and abrade, and eventually turn yellow. And then it can be a bitch to get off.

It might be more work, but I've always found that I prefer hitting my polished aluminum with a polish every six months or so. Mothers is good, probably the best I've found so far. 0000 steel wool with a little WD40 or PB Blaster works well to clean up minor oxidation marks quickly in between more major polishing sessions.

Last edited:
That Blue Magic has silicone in it and keeps oxidation at bay for a good while. On my Campagnolo equipped bicycles that also have heavily chrome parts and some with chrome frame , forks, stays...I use a synthetic auto paint sealer. I used it on some chrome xs 650 fenders last MAY and they still look as they were de-rusted and polished. Then, from time to time after riding I uses a synthetic cleaner and a synthetic spray wax ( just wipe off) to keep it clean. That sort of stuff is easy to use and works! I get it from Four Star Products, Bradenton, FL.

Pretty much all of the above except the steel wool. 0000 Scotchbrite does not scratch at all compared to the steel wool. For heavily oxidized aluminum you can apply Mothers with a Scotchbrite pad on your first go-round. Mothers is not for chrome. And, as other members here will confirm, Autosol is one damn fine metal polish.

The only way to keep aluminum polished is with a annual liberal application of elbow grease. You can clear coat it but it will eventually yellow. And once you clear coat it you cannot re-polish without stripping the clear coat. Anodizing (electrolytic passivation) is an oxidizing process that will actually alter the surface of the aluminum, so it wont even look polished it will look anodized. There is no such thing as "clear anodizing" all anodizing is by its nature "clear" the colored anodizing you see has actually had a dye added it to it to achieve the color.

You can clear coat it but it will eventually yellow.
Do a search on Cerakote.
I had my gas tank coated with it 2 years ago. Holding up perfect. Gas does not affect it. Only draw back is if you want to remove it it has to be mechanically removed. No known solvents will remove it.

Do a search on Cerakote.
I had my gas tank coated with it 2 years ago. Holding up perfect. Gas does not affect it. Only draw back is if you want to remove it it has to be mechanically removed. No known solvents will remove it.
Yeah I've used it on gun parts. but not the clear. Id be interested to see how it held up on hot engine parts.

That Blue Magic has silicone in it and keeps oxidation at bay for a good while
9CA9A7C1-C04E-45A7-AACC-764DB911C2C7.jpeg What he said. Blue magic is my go to. In fact I just bought me a fresh jar of it! :D
The shine lasts a good long time and it’s easy to bring back.

I've also switched back to Blue Magic. I used it many years ago but switched for some reason. I don't know, maybe it became difficult to find or something. But gggGary mentioned it here on the forum several years ago so I decided to try it again. I really like it, better than the Mothers I had been using. I also like the fact that you can buy it in BIG jars. This saves you like half the cost .....

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-5...e99cc&pd_rd_wg=ImLZJ&pd_rd_i=B002UIW54O&psc=1

So, I now have a lifetime supply, lol .....

53lfxOa.jpg

I've also switched back to Blue Magic. I used it many years ago but switched for some reason. I don't know, maybe it became difficult to find or something. But gggGary mentioned it here on the forum several years ago so I decided to try it again. I really like it, better than the Mothers I had been using. I also like the fact that you can buy it in BIG jars. This saves you like half the cost .....

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-5...e99cc&pd_rd_wg=ImLZJ&pd_rd_i=B002UIW54O&psc=1

So, I now have a lifetime supply, lol .....

53lfxOa.jpg

Wow! Four and a half pounds! That looks like the Costco version! :D

who does waht after polishing, had a buddy at work tell me gotta get aluminum anodized clear after polishing or it will oxidize before long and not look so polished anymore

Anodize is a great process for protection and longevity if done properly, however it has it's own drawbacks for what you want.
It depends on a first chemical etch that will dull your polishing somewhat. Not matte but not the high polish you've worked so hard to achieve.
It slightly affects dimensions of fits which in this case shouldn't be an issue. It hardcoats the surface which is a plus.
But if there are steel imbeds, cast in steel parts as there are in the hubs you can not do anodize as it reacts terribly to the etching process,

I have heard the praises sung of blue magic on crank cases, and fenders, but have read that the silicone film it leaves can cause yellowing on exhausts. What do you guys use to clean your exhausts/high heat areas?

I have heard the praises sung of blue magic on crank cases, and fenders, but have read that the silicone film it leaves can cause yellowing on exhausts. What do you guys use to clean your exhausts/high heat areas?

I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, just a personal preference, there are other brands of chrome polish out there that I’m sure would work just as well.
7F981853-B2EF-4300-ADA8-FA2E9CB64A78.jpeg

For blue head pipes, also a pretty good chrome cleaner if turtle doesn't do the job. Works wonders on blued header pipes
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Job-Chrome-Polish-Perfect-Motorcycle/dp/B015GGY61Q

As far as aluminum once I polish it I wipe it down occasionally with a Terry cloth and maybe a bit of Mothers or whatever you use. As long as you keep up with it it will look good for a lot of years. Some of my covers have been polished for 10-12 years and still looks great.

Back