Confused about why wheels sizes are so different from year to year

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the wheel size on my 83 XS650 is 16 in the back and other years are 18 in the back? Confusing to say the least. Anyway any help is fully appreciate. I had a 77 and it had an 18 in the back.

Thanks!

Also, if I am switching the back out to an 18' do I need to change the swingarm as well or will the stock swingarm accept the 18 inch rim? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

You'll be fine with the swingarm with any stock rim/tire swap out.
Now- the Special chainguard has a notch in it for the 16" rear tires......also the brake stay is a bit flattened on the Specials compared to the Standard. I've swapped both out on my '77 Standard so's to be able to swap tires and rims out ALL day long without any rubbing issues if I so desire.......

nj1639,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate that very much. I think in this build I made the mistake of ordering a new tire, tube, and rim strip for an 18 thinking that it was just the same as my 77 was without actually checking the flippin' size. Shame on me of course, but seeing as I am making it into a cafe I figure I could either buy a new (correct) tire and all or find a rim that will fit the tire I bought. Got the 18 that matches my front 19 on Ebay for $100 so I figure it is a win win.

Onward!

Thanks!

To answer your first question, why the change, I think the truth is just cosmetics. The special was made to go for a certain look and at the time big front/little rear was an "in" look.

Back