Top end rattle

tmxyam

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi new to these 650s mine has a rattle on the top end seems like from both sides sound to loud to be tappets asked a few guys who are into these and they say there all like this it runs ok starts on the button I get a bit of blue smoke out of left exhaust when hot but only it's been running and not moving rev it a few times and it clears the guys say just ride it and don't worry !

Cam chain will give a off a sharp rattle like a loose valve but not quite as frequent, search for many threads on setting the cam chain while idling.

These motors do make more top end noise than a modern bike but a pronounced ticking isn't normal. Adjust your cam chain and valves, in that order.

Thanks is that with the engine hot or cold any thoughts on the oil burning issue
Cheers
TM

Set cam chain hot, valves cold. The oil burning issue is probably an internal problem. It could be valve guides, valve guide seals, or rings. Another possibility is a bad section of head gasket in the area between the cylinder and cam chain tunnel. Any of these would require a topend tear down to remedy.

I get a bit of blue smoke out of left exhaust when hot but only it's been running and not moving rev it a few times and it clears

Best as I can remember blue smoke on start up only is a bad valve guide or stem oil seal. You can put new stem seals on without taking the motor out or apart, but it takes some doing. A piece of rope to jam in the plug hole to keep the valve up and something that will fit into the opening you have there to compress the spring. A compression test will hint at what the cause is too.

Back