chain and sprocket question

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a 630 chain conversion for the XS650? Reason I'm asking is my current project was purchased as a frame and engine only, and I found and modded some Kawasaki KZ650C rims to work. The rim has a 630 sprocket and the XS counter shaft sprocket is 530. Just wondering if someones' done the the research already. Maybe the bigger Yamahas had a 630 pitch C/S sprocket with the same out put splines. Any info would be helpful, and thanks for any responses.

Ben

I think CDNTX650 is right. I'm going to use a KZ650B rear hub for my build. That is using a 630 chain as well. But looking around JT-sprockets website I found a rear sprocket for some newer Kawa which is 530 and will bolt straight on. Try your luck... I think that is the better way to go. :)

Yea. Finding a 530 for a Kawasaki wheel would be easier, but most I've found are in the 37 to 39 teeth range, and the XS runs a 34. I'll keep looking. I could also make a sprocket if it comes to that. Just need to find a divider wheel for my small mill.

By the way..... the smallest rearsprocket I could find for my rear hub is 38 teeth. Thats not really smal enough but I'm going to use an 18 front and Mikes 5th gear which will bring me back to the original starting point... well thats just what you have to deal with when mixing parts.

Didn't see your last reply before I posted.... you thought about these things yourself :)

If you deside you want to make your own 34 teeth sprocket I would be interested in buying one from you.

I'm waiting to hear from JT Sprockets about a 34 tooth rear. The list shows for my wheel and model shows the stock gearing for front and rear. The also list several other sizes. So I e-mailed the North American supplier to see whats what.

Well, here is a Excel spreadsheet that will give you your RPM for any combination of sprockets including Mikes 5th overdrive and the Heiden primary gear set. Measure your rolling distance by marking the tire and floor and rolling forward until the mark comes back to the floor. measure the distance between the two marks. That's your rolling distance. Sort of a very accurate effective circumference.

Two typical rolling distances are given for a 18" and a 16" wheel.

The orange boxes are pull downs to select front and rear sprockets, rolling distance and MPH above 60 as well as standard or Heiden primary gears.

Revs and gears and sprockets

Sprocket Specialities I think is the name, can make most any sprocket for most any wheel.

Back