New project 73tx650

I'm thinking your frame is a '78 or'79, (I took the liberty of copying the right side shot that shows the master cylinder for the rear disc brake, if you want me to remove it let me know). Look at the steering stem numbers, go to the thread put together by 650Skull, to get an ID. Did it come with a title that said it was a '73?

As I was putting together this post I see you were able to add the pictures. Anyway. the '73 had a spoked drum brake wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20151129_154804_zpsjnpmdyld.jpg
    IMG_20151129_154804_zpsjnpmdyld.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 53
It's titled as a 73 and numbers match the title and motor. The frames been painted and there's no hint of numbers that I can see through the neck.

Most of the parts I'm seeing appear to be off later models, probably the early Specials. The 1st few years of the Special ('78, '79, '80) came with a 16" rear disc mag. The forks have spring pre-load adjuster caps which probably makes them '78 or later 35mm forks. They appear to be slid up about an inch in the trees which would account for it sitting lower in the front. You can easily slide them back down and raise it up again. The rear shocks are aftermarket and good ones, Konis. The carbs are aftermarket VM slide carbs. I also see braided stainless steel brake lines. There's lots of nice parts there.

I DO have two 79 motors with titles that came with it so it wouldn't surprise me if the frame is from one

Okay cool. Looking over it I thought I noticed some nice parts also. Even though I haven't heard it run the price for everything was impossible to turn down. I just kind of needed to know where I stood in a base line way, like what mixes of parts I've got etc. I've got a set of later carbs that look okay, stock shocks, stock chrome fender, coils, points, advance units, and a ton of other misc. Po claims it runs great, that the battery's just dead. It has good compression. Left carb floods but I'm sure I can sort that. I'm real familiar with the stock mikunis, these slide ones are new to me though

The more angled rear shock mounting position is a Special trait. The side stand looks like the later type as well. It pivots on a large post on the frame. The '73 used a cast stand that had a clevis mount .....

70-73Stand.jpg

Okay cool... Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. I also got a couple sets of pipes. One set looks to be stock manifolds, the other set is a high scrambler type set up. I've also got 2 sets of slip on mufflers and a bunch of baffles.

I think the previous plan was a dirt tracker. It also came with a set of bigger mags with real aggressive knobbies. I've also got 2 front ends and a stock spoke wheel with disk and brake.

My plan is to go through everything and put the bigger wheels on and aggressive rubber, change those bars out for some tracker bars, fab some side plates, and depending on how it runs, mostly leave it alone.

Back