Okay so I'm new to the xs, just got my first one a few weeks ago... But I'm a fabricator by trade so this should be a fun project... Anyways, don't shoot me if this is a bad idea or completely a newb question but could you use a fuel injection system from another 2cyl bike or even a Yamaha raptor cause I believe the 700 is FI and close to the same CC's.... Idk if that's a possibility or not?

Theoretically yes, but there are a few things to check:

1. will the throttle bodies mount up to the XS parrallel twin arrangement?
2. are the throttle bodies the right size for the 650cc displacement?
3. Is the ECU a separate entity that can be graphed onto the XS?
4. the high pressure fuel pump mounting (internal or external)?
5. Is the CDI part of the ECU and will you use it or retain the electronic ingnition of the XS?
6. Is the table in the ECU appropriate for the XS or can it be modified via some kind of EPROM flashing? (this is why people use the microsquirt or equivalent).
7. Porting the various sensors from the donor bike to the XS...

-=PO

I have done alot of fi and the only real sensors you need to make it work are
map manifold air pressure
iat inlet air temp
water temp in this case oil temp for cold start up
crank position sensor
throttle position sensor
o2 sensor
From what I see it would be very easy to do a two into one intake with a single tb. This will give you spots for the tbs and iat sensors. The oil temp would be in the case and the o2 sensor in the exhaust( would be better with a two into one). The only one Im not sure about is the crank position. You would have to mount a reluctor ring on it with a mag pick up for timming. just my 2cents

I have done alot of fi and the only real sensors you need to make it work are
map manifold air pressure
iat inlet air temp
water temp in this case oil temp for cold start up
crank position sensor
throttle position sensor
o2 sensor
From what I see it would be very easy to do a two into one intake with a single tb. This will give you spots for the tbs and iat sensors. The oil temp would be in the case and the o2 sensor in the exhaust( would be better with a two into one). The only one Im not sure about is the crank position. You would have to mount a reluctor ring on it with a mag pick up for timming. just my 2cents

You've got it, that's exactly how I've got mine running :thumbsup:

I've got the whole bike apart right now doing the finish welding on the frame. One less thing I have to do later. Next up will be mounting points for the gas tank, fuel pump, regulator, megasquirt, coil, electrical stuff, mount the tail, build the sheetmetal around the tail, finish the swingarm, ect..... It seems to go on and on. But I've been able to order a few parts lately and that always makes me happy. Got some tires finally, new front fender, handlebar switches, rear seat. Hopefully a few more items soon.

Why? The systems on newer bikes he want's to port over use a TB per cylinder. To use a single means larger TB and expensive 1 into 2 manifold.:banghead:
-PO

I tend to simplicity and a single TB provides a bit of that. It also makes moot question 1 in your first post.

Also, I know how to weld so a manifold would only set me back the cost of a few pieces of aluminum.

In just a few years the Chinese will move up from the 50- 300 cc Honda clones they're making now to cloning mid sized bikes. Considering the multitude of XS replacement parts currently being made in China I can see no reason why the Chinese wouldn't clone the XS650 and export them to the US, Canada and Europe by the millions.

That said, a new XS will not pass current new vehicle smog regs without electronic ignition and fuel injection so you can look to the Chinese to do just that for their clones.

And because they will offer replacement parts we will then be able to buy off the shelf fuel injection.

Clarification: My Chrystal ball is no bigger than a marble and hard to read so the mid sized bike they pick might be a K-1 750 Honda downsized to 699cc to keep them under the Harley tax.

No matter what bike they pick to clone, you can expect to see an under 700cc Chinese sport bike in the next 5 years.

I'm hoping they clone the XS so I can get off the shelf fuel injection.

I've got the whole bike apart right now doing the finish welding on the frame. One less thing I have to do later. Next up will be mounting points for the gas tank, fuel pump, regulator, megasquirt, coil, electrical stuff, mount the tail, build the sheetmetal around the tail, finish the swingarm, ect..... It seems to go on and on. But I've been able to order a few parts lately and that always makes me happy. Got some tires finally, new front fender, handlebar switches, rear seat. Hopefully a few more items soon.

Well definitely keep us updated. I for one am waiting to hear about it.

I've got a big bore rephase here that I am supposed to Fuel Inject with an MRD system. Guess I'll learn a few things while I am at it as well.

Hugh, you took that on for a customer, or for yourself? If a customer, then you're crazy! :D

No that's cool.. As long as the customer is realistic about how long it might take and how expensive it might be.

Is that MRD system a mechanical system? If I remember right they have a crank driven fuel pump. You will have to adjust it way down since you are adapting it to a 4 stroke. I might be wrong too. 2 strokes and I never really got along.

Big money in EFI. I have $600 in parts and I'm still missing the $400 Microsquirt. Once I have it though I'll be ready for a build thread.

Can I borrow some time from someone, I've ran out!

Is that MRD system a mechanical system? If I remember right they have a crank driven fuel pump. You will have to adjust it way down since you are adapting it to a 4 stroke. I might be wrong too. 2 strokes and I never really got along.

Big money in EFI. I have $600 in parts and I'm still missing the $400 Microsquirt. Once I have it though I'll be ready for a build thread.

Can I borrow some time from someone, I've ran out!

I'm confused, what do you mean by "adjust it way down since you are adapting it to a 4 stroke"? Fuel flow? Pulse rate? I'm really light years away from figuring out fuel injection, just trying to learn.

Back