Thomas Racing Service

I agree with him about this generation and tools. When I went back to school 10 years ago we actually had a class on hand tools. I am 57 and thought it was a joke, but there were guys 19-21 who had never used a hammer before. Not saying every one is like that but more than you would think.

The days of repair are over. It's all "replacing" parts now. Idiots can't do anything unless it's an app on a cell phone or plugged into a computer. I make a pretty good amount of money doing the most basic repairs for people. It absolutely amazes me how people are able to function sometimes.
There is a guy down the street who had his car in the shop for a week because the "techs" couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Their computer diagnostic machine didn't tell them what code it was. Seriously, they had no idea the fuel pump was not working because the computer didn't tell them.

The clutch plates were replaced, im assuming. But the motor had a knocking sound like ive never heard before. Sounded like a rod knocking, but with the ball bearing bottom end this should not be possible. Metal in the oil could have been from the clutch i suppose but the knocking was not. Also the metal on the filter was not magnetic... which i assume the clutch plates are metal... ?

Im still making seats... very slowly though... ive been moving into a new/bigger shop and am still unpacking/breaking walls down. But still trying to make seats and other custom parts in my spare time...

Photos are just flos... I want to get a lighting setup in my new place that is a little better...

I saw that video a few months ago. Totally true. DIY is the future. Pretty soon the DIY'ers will take over the world as no one else will be able to fix/build anything...

One of the only things im missing is the courage to jump in and rebuild a motor. I know I could do it, but just havent jumped in yet. I did all of the other work to my bike, BUT the motor... I wanted to pay someone so that i could ride the bike and not have have to worry about the motor shitting the bed. That bit me pretty hard...

Seriously, they had no idea the fuel pump was not working because the computer didn't tell them.

A friend of mine who works in a dealership shop once told me "We're no mechanics, we're parts changers, the computer does all the thinking." :doh:

As far as doing the engine work yourself, engines can be intimidating... but once you tear into it it's really pretty simple. Get yourself a decent shop manual and have at it. Take your time, check everything twice, and you'll surprise yourself when its done. First time is the hardest.

Travis - This motor was supposed to have the crank welded when the bottom end was gone through. This was a complete build -

3 angle valve job
bored to 750cc
wiseco pistons
welded crank

Still not sure where the alum is coming from.... maybe he forgot to weld the crank? Ill have answers soon... once the new guy gets into the bottom end...

Back