Wheel size

dayv

XS650 Member
Reaction score
my wheels are pretty beat for the bike i jsut picked up. what do i need to know about buying a new wheelset for it? hub width? rotor size? axle diameter? can i just use spacers if the hub is too narrow? or are there any websites that carry wheels that you can search by bike type or size? sort of like a tirerack.com for cars

I don’t think there any companies making new wheels just for the XS650. Pretty much any wheel you put on your bike that’s new will require some modifications with axle spacers and disc or caliper spacers.

You said you have a 79 so I would just look for a nice set of wheels from any XS650 1977 and up. Your best bet is probably to just clean up what you have. If they are spoke wheels you can take them apart and clean up or polish the hubs, then clean, paint, or powdercoat the rims, and get new spokes from MikesXS. You can also get new rims from there too if yours are really bad. If they are mag wheels and aren't bent, you can paint or powder coat them to make them look good again. Some people just media blast their mag wheels and leave it at that.

Sounds like a great deal especially with a 21" font. Dayv, if you're interested, just make the hubs are XS650 hubs if you want to use the original axle spacers and don't want to worry about disc offset. If the front disk looks like the same as the one already on your bike, you should be good to go.

Back