Hopefully my 1st XS! Help with the ID Please.

Hi boost and welcome,
comparing the frame serial lettering and numbers to Skull's ID chart will tell you that.
At least, it will tell you what the bike was when it left the factory.
It will take photos and descriptions to discover what, if anything, has been done to it since then.

Many thanks.

My initial concern is that it has a single disc brake in front which is on the left side. All the ones I've seen have discs on the right. The caliper is also located on the lower portion of the fork leg whereas the ones I've seen have the caliper on the upper part of the fork leg.

Is there something wrong with the unit I'm checking out?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/464504149043620499/

I don't trust that front brake.

Attachments

• StrangeBrake.jpg
    StrangeBrake.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 179
What I think I see is a random used front end stuck on an XS650 as a cheap crash repair part. The stock tubes were bent so they just "rigged up" whatever they could find. This does not give me any confidence in the PO and what other "rigging" may have been done.

Also looks like velocity stacks (no air filters) Engines HATE eating dirt and rocks.

Agree with the others.

I see your in the Philippines, XS's and parts are hard to find i take it, but the front end has to be replaced with the right parts to suit that set up, (need to identify), or find an XS front end for it.

Many thanks.
My initial concern is that it has a single disc brake in front which is on the left side. All the ones I've seen have discs on the right. The caliper is also located on the lower portion of the fork leg whereas the ones I've seen have the caliper on the upper part of the fork leg.
Is there something wrong with the unit I'm checking out?
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/464504149043620499/

Hi boost,
the devil is in the details
from what I see in the photo, the forks are from something else and the oddly mounted caliper looks similar to the caliper from a rear disk brake XS650.
It looks like the steering head has been raked and if so, the forward axle forks may well reduce the extra steering trail back towards normal and the Weird Harold caliper may work just fine.
Or the bike may be an accident waiting to happen.
Only an expert examination and a test ride will say for sure.
And yeah, velocity stacks may look good but they don't keep the dirt out of the engine.

Additional pics for your comments. I would be able to source a complete front fork assembly with dual calipers and rotors. Wondering now if the hubs will be able to take the dual rotors. Does it look like it figured in a collision?

Thanks for the earlier comments! Looking forward to more based on these pics. Just put the pics in one album for easier viewing.

https://www.pinterest.com/gonzales2964/xs650/

gggGary: Seller claims that he got it from an expat who did the initial restoration and changed the pistons and rings. Front forks were allegedly replaced due to bad springs and if I want them, he can get them back.

fredintoon: Assuming I can get that complete front shock assembly, does it look like it will fix whatever issues?

As to the model, can anyone do a visual ID in the absence of a serial no.? I also noticed that the tank has a square cover? Shouldn't that be round?

Thanks again.

The term "restoration" must have a different definition where you're from, lol. What you're looking at is called a "bitsa". It has been put together using parts from lots of different bikes, many not even XS650s. The forks, tank, and side covers, and probably some other items, are not from an XS650. You don't replace a complete fork assembly just because the springs are bad. Aftermarket replacement springs are readily available. I think the guy is feeding you a line of shit. Personally, I'd pass on this one, unless maybe they're asking $50 for it.

boost if you are planning to stay awhile I suggest starting a picture album here on the site. Pictures could then be inserted into the thread. Pinterest has login popups that prevent non-users from seeing the pictures.
Course it could be I am the only member with no interest in joining Pinterest so you ain't losing much.

Hi 'rider,
you are not alone.
All you can see is the small photos.
Click on one to enlarge it and a horkin' great "Join up, it's wonderful" ad gets pasted all over it.
And no "Eff off!" button neither.

Yea. Another here that will not join, but I will not be opening my mouth giving any advise. I'll leave that to the experts.

Except for maybe be careful about that front break (misspelled intentionally). :laugh:

The XS650 is pretty rare in the Philippines. I would hazard a guess that there are more BMW R50s running on our roads than the XS650 as it wasn't sold locally by dealers. Most, if not all, are grey imports from Japan. As such, the scarcity of parts. Not that its an excuse to have a mishmash of parts to try to get the bike presentable.

Given the comments, looks like a straight up restoration is out of the question or would be too tedious, if not expensive. I'm now entertaining a cafe racer/brat/scrambler project so I can work with whats available.

I've always been in love with this rendition.

full

Back