Gas tank ideas?

claybear

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after chopping the frame and building my handle bars, I come across a new problem, bars hit the tank, and to be honest any tank I have laying around looks like hell on the bike anyways since it's all been done before. So I decided I'm going to try to make my own, only question being, after it's all welded up, how do I properly seal it so there is absolutely no leaks? Any ideas would be great.

When the tank is complete, put about 5 psi in the tank, submerge the tank underwater. Watch for bubbles. Weld up the spots that show bubbles. When you get no more bubbles then seal it with the sealer of your choise.

An idea if you put a fuel sight guage on the tank: Assuming you use the standard NPT bung for them, I thread a schrader valve into one bung, then an air guage in the other. Put a few pounds of air and watch the guage for awhile....kinda like a leakdown tester...If it shows a drop then you can go from there as XSLeo suggested....
Side note: Wouldnt it be easier to build another set of bars??

Craig

Rather than submerging it in water, mix a decent amount of dish soap with water and brush on with a paint brush. Watch for bubbles. (Don't mix it to a lather. Mix it slowly so you don't have a lot of suds before you apply it with a brush.) Mark the leaks with a grease pencil.

Side note: Wouldnt it be easier to build another set of bars??

Craig

It probably would be easier to build a new set of bars, but I like the set I made, and I like the angle that they sit at, plus I'm stubborn, and I just can't find a tank that I really like. The stock tank is just god awful, the sporty tank has been done to death, and the other tanks I've seen just do nothing for me. My plan is to use the front half of one of the tanks, re-work the shape a little, cut notches for the bars, and work my way back. I kinda like the shape of the tank that PCC uses on their Matador, (kind of a spade shape) so I might do something like that. With wing-nuts on top to hold it to the frame.... Love me some wing nuts.

66945_1433314837507_1371994443_31062429_5363311_n.jpg

66369_1437512382443_1371994443_31071514_2650058_n.jpg
There's the bars, I made em to accomodate some AA coins that were laying around, I like em because they have the serenity prayer on them so it'll remind me of that while I'm rididn... And there's also the bike in it's current form, still working on it though.

not trying to be a smart a$$ but what stops those bars from moving forward and back? are you going to weld a bar between them. I think it would look killer

There's the bars, I made em to accomodate some AA coins that were laying around, I like em because they have the serenity prayer on them so it'll remind me of that while I'm rididn... And there's also the bike in it's current form, still working on it though.

hey hey I have a similar coin hanging around my neck with the serenity prayer on one side, never take it off either.

anywho...lovin the look of that red man looks straight up tits! :thumbsup:

not trying to be a smart a$$ but what stops those bars from moving forward and back? are you going to weld a bar between them. I think it would look killer

Actually there's no bar between them, I thought about it, but the minimalist approach just seems cooler to me.. First off, they're really tight in the holes where the old risers sat, but I did end up drilling and tapping so I could put a set screw into the side. Tested em by banging on em with a BFH, they're not moving unless I want em to...

hey hey I have a similar coin hanging around my neck with the serenity prayer on one side, never take it off either.

anywho...lovin the look of that red man looks straight up tits! :thumbsup:

Thanks Stone, wal mart paint even! 5 bucks a can, can't go wrong... I used my other coins for the risers, I'm keeping my year coin out though.. I just figured I'd probably see them there more often than I would anywhere else, and when I'm riding is usually when I get the most aggrevated, so it works out well for me this way.

How 'bout these ... not like everyone else's tanks
the brass & tan theme works as well

Black '03 Spirit tank may look best on a mild custom / rat.

Attachments

• Cyl Tanks bigtwin5.jpg
    Cyl Tanks bigtwin5.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Bed liner tank.jpg
    Bed liner tank.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 175
Any body tell me of a bigger tank that will fit my stock 81-82 special? I would really like to get at least 250 miles out of a tank.Something that i will not have to do any cutting or modifying the bike to make fit. I carry a 1 gallon jug on the rear pegs in case of emergency but don't want to include that in the 250.

Drill and tap the steering tab's on the frame neck.I used one 6mm bolt,nut,lock washer,locktite to limitate the steering on both side.It works like charm.

calboy147, your special tank holds about 2.9 gallons, .9 is the reserve. The 74 to 79 standards hold about 3.9 gallons with the .9 reserve. The standard tanks fit right on the specials.
The only problem might be the petcocks. On the early tasnks they used two non vaccum petcocks, one each side. Hook them together with a tee and ffrom the tee to your carbs.
I think the 78 and 79 used two vaccum petcocks. Not eactly sure on that. If so just use a tee to hook both petcocks to your carbs.
The xs750, xs850 have larger tanks and mount a bit different. The rubber pucks at the front of the tank are on the frame, not the tank. Just need to cut away the stock front mounts and bolt the rubber pucks to the frame. At the rear you will need to alter the seat and build the rear tank mount. The tank is longer.
I think they are about 4.5 gallon. Still not a 250 mile range. You will need a 5 gallon tank to get 250 miles. And that will be from full to bone dry.
In the after market they sell big tanks for Harleys. 6 gallon I think. That would give you the 250 miles and a bit of reserve.
May I ask why you want a 250 mile range? If it is to extend gas stops while traveling then I think the Standard tank will be fine. Just do gas stops at 125 to 150 miles. Thats a good amount of miles. I shoot for around 100-125 myself. You need a rest break about then anyway. Drain the kidneys, stretch your legs.
Leo

calboy147, your special tank holds about 2.9 gallons, .9 is the reserve. The 74 to 79 standards hold about 3.9 gallons with the .9 reserve. The standard tanks fit right on the specials.
The only problem might be the petcocks. On the early tasnks they used two non vaccum petcocks, one each side. Hook them together with a tee and ffrom the tee to your carbs.
I think the 78 and 79 used two vaccum petcocks. Not eactly sure on that. If so just use a tee to hook both petcocks to your carbs.
The xs750, xs850 have larger tanks and mount a bit different. The rubber pucks at the front of the tank are on the frame, not the tank. Just need to cut away the stock front mounts and bolt the rubber pucks to the frame. At the rear you will need to alter the seat and build the rear tank mount. The tank is longer.
I think they are about 4.5 gallon. Still not a 250 mile range. You will need a 5 gallon tank to get 250 miles. And that will be from full to bone dry.
In the after market they sell big tanks for Harleys. 6 gallon I think. That would give you the 250 miles and a bit of reserve.
May I ask why you want a 250 mile range? If it is to extend gas stops while traveling then I think the Standard tank will be fine. Just do gas stops at 125 to 150 miles. Thats a good amount of miles. I shoot for around 100-125 myself. You need a rest break about then anyway. Drain the kidneys, stretch your legs.
Leo

Leo
Thanks, lots of good starting places here. Yes i want to extend the range between gas stops. Many places in Mexico, north west Canada, and even parts of the American south west can cause you to get a bit nervous when you get to 150 miles or so and are in unfamiliar territory or have to turn back for some unforseen reason. I regularly do 6, 7, or even 8 hours on my bicycle without rest stops so i figure i can do it on the motorcycle as well. I am willing to modify the seat or maybe add risers or new handle bars, so i will look into some of your suggestions.

Back