Sidecar 101

Look what I just dragged home. Gordon I will be In touch soon for a left side 2into1 setup. Also I would like to know if you have any tips for the axle swap. I have a 16 wheel left over from my 19/19 conversion.
:cheers: Very cool Rat Fink! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm stoked for you, I got another one on the line and reeled him in :laugh: With the axle I just cut off the stock one and drilled out the hole bigger for the XS rear axle and welded it in. I have the drill bit in the shop so I'll find out what size it was and post it, perfect fit hole. Here is a video of some of the mod's I did on my outfit, feel free to copy anything you see and if any questions just ask, happy to help :wink2:

Great thread. I can see this being one of those 12 page threads. I have accumulated information on chairs for about 25 years but never made the jump. Maybe now is the time. BTW, big fan of your pipes gordonscott.
Thanks mate, I love building the pipes. 25 yrs :doh: yes it's time! Come on and join us and have some fun :bike:

Just one more thing, I just bought the dom tube for the subframe and main frame of the sidecar I'm going to build. I'm very busy with work but WILL post the build from begining to end. And please have mercey on me if I'm slow with it, like I said very busy :shrug:

Oh ya, I almost forgot :doh: The Vstrom mods I did over the winter I talked about earlier. New leading link front end, Bandit1200 17" wheels replaced the stock strom wheels on front and sidecar (now running 17's all around) Wave rotors with new stainless lines and Bandit1200 three piston calipers (replaced stock two piston) and last but not least a car tire on the rear, 205-55/17 :D
cimg6545.jpg
cimg6547.jpg
cimg6552.jpg

hi guys,,,, i would lov..... a side car on my gs1000e.. or my xs650... it would not matter .... i,ve seen both without leading lonk set up.. but progressive springs... in front ...and the amount of riding i do it really would not bother me ...i did met a guy a few years ago that purchased an enfield bullet with a matching side car..from the guy in outer western melbourne ... and he and his wife were always going somewhere on it ...he origionally got the set up as his wife had a musscle desease and she could not ride her enfield chopper that the enfield dealer imported into australia.... regards oldbiker and if you punch up sidecar club on google there,s a few that give great working drawings on building and setting up of the sidecar and bike regards oldbiker

GS;
Damn nice work and one hell of a thread. Very interesting indeed, but I've got a headache from all that math...:laugh:never cease to impress.:thumbsup:

Just one more thing, I just bought the dom tube for the subframe and main frame of the sidecar I'm going to build. I'm very busy with work but WILL post the build from begining to end. And please have mercey on me if I'm slow with it, like I said very busy :shrug:
Are you building a subframe for the xs? If so I'll take one! i really want a tubing bender but did the powder coating set up instead + I'll leave all that math for you egg heads
:D

Are you building a subframe for the xs? If so I'll take one! i really want a tubing bender but did the powder coating set up instead + I'll leave all that math for you egg heads
:D
Egg head :laugh: I had to forget how to tie my shoes to retain that information :D I'm building a subframe for my Yamaha xt600. As far as the Velorex axle swap the drill bit size I used was 51/64"th and it slid in nice, then just tig welded it up :thumbsup:

Gordon, please forgive hi-jack, My Pals Ara, and His Dog, spirit, riding.....Spirit was a abandoned Pit, hours from being put down. Ara rescued Him, and together , they roam the roads of America. The road is their home, and....a Movie may be in the works!

Gordon, please forgive hi-jack, My Pals Ara, and His Dog, spirit, riding.....Spirit was a abandoned Pit, hours from being put down. Ara rescued Him, and together , they roam the roads of America. The road is their home, and....a Movie may be in the works!
No apology needed! I know of Ara and spirit and have followed his adventures for a while :thumbsup: I'm a member over at ADVrider.com and he posts there alot, love that site :bike: I admire him to do what he does, lifes to short to work as hard as we do, he has the right idea, bravo :wink2:

I only know Him thru another site, www.motorcyclistcafe.com, I am finally going to meet Ara, and Spirit, in Sept, In Arizona , at the Motorcyclist Cafe Bunkhouse and Barn. I cant wait. Gordon I see You on another site,Jockey Journal. I am Donson over there. Small world! please excuse threadjack, back to Sidecars....:bike:

Ok, this is going to be a slow build because I have to do it in my spare time :laughing: I started my sidecar build for my XT600 and will post as I progress. Starting with .120wall DOM cut and layed out, bend done with my Pro tools model 105...
cimg6734.jpg
cimg6732.jpg

Time to notch some tube :wink2: I mount my tube notcher to the drill press and use plenty of lubricant to make a smooth cut...
cimg6735q.jpg

After the first notch the trick is to get the other side to match. What I do is turn the tube around for the next notch and place a scrap piece on the end I just cut with a magnetic welders sqaure to hold it. Then use an angle finder to make sure the next cut will match perfectly...
cimg6736e.jpg
cimg6738.jpg

Awesome progress, and pyroman, your video is SO AWESOME!

Hahhahaa I had to send it to my GF, we're big time dog lovers. I have a few pics of my pack, but I won't threadjack!

Ok, here is a little more. Made the axle holders and swingarm "whatchamacallit" (swingarm pivit?) on the lathe and cut the notches for them.
cimg6762.jpg
cimg6750.jpg

Last edited:
Made the axle at the same time and is hollow, this will allow a grease fitting in the end and I will drill release holes at the bearing locations.
cimg6754.jpg
cimg6766x.jpg

Back