Regulator/rectifier

Chubba

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
About 95% done on rebuild and thought I'd swat up on electrics through the forum and now I'm totally confused. The fact that I'm nearly 60 doesn't help...

6fidy.JPG

I want to combine these Regulator / Rectifier

Reg-Rec.JPG

into one Solid state unit.

Reg-Rec Combo.JPG

This one is off a 78 XS750 and looks like the one I need.
Is this the combo Reg/Rec I need and will I have to change the polarity of the alternater brushes...or anything else?

Cheers Boys...:thumbsup:

I converted my 78 XS 650 after I let all the smoke out of the rectifier. Rather than send it back to the factory to have it refilled with smoke, I went with the upgrade from Mikes XS650.com. The wiring pieces and harness that came with it were well thought out and the conversion went far better than I thought it would. Directions were short and sweet. And I had some serious damage to the ground wire(s) from the rectifier - there was charred insulation all the way to the attach point under the right coil mount! I added fuses to that wire. One thing I have noted - witha quality Fluke DVM is that the charging voltage is pinned at 13.8 VDC when at 2,000 RPM or above and the AC component is under 50 millivolts. It performs much better than the electro mechanical version.

By the way I was 63 when I did mine and I am really dangerous with wrenches in my hands and working on my motorcycle. I must be really dumb because I keep coming back for more. It could be because I enjoy the ride a lot! And yesterday a guy pulled up along side me on his custom Harley and couldn't help asking "... what year that thing was..." and proceeded to reminisce about his 1978 Yamaha 650.

One thing I noticed in the picture of your regulator/rectifier is that it doesn't have the black ground wire coming from it, so the body of the unit will have to be well grounded on the frame. Plus, you probably need to unground a brush in the rotor with nylon screws. Check this thread out: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6477
There are also other alternatives, like the Radio Shack/automotive regulator combo.

BTW. welcome to the forum, and from what I see of the bike, looks like exceptional work.

Last edited:
The 70 to 79 bikes all had the seperate reg and rec as in your first pics. The 80 up models had the combo reg/rec.
On the XS750 i'm not sure just what was used. What you might want to do is find a wiring diagram for the XS750 and see how the reg/rec wires to the stator and compare it to the way the XS650 wires up.
I did the Chrysler reg and Radio Shack rec mods and it works very well.
Can be done for less than $25.
Leo

Was just rereading a few older posts. In your one pic, the upper unit is a regulator, the lower is a safety relay.
Leo

Back