"Must Have" Modifications for New Build...Your Thoughts?

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
What are everyone's opinions on the best and most necessary modifications when doing a re-build?

Right now I'm down to the bare frame and have installed:

Tapered steering stem bearings
Bronze swingarm bushings

I have Mikuni VM carbs

I definitely want to go with a Pamco ignition.

Since you are going to replace the cam chain guide. Cleaning the rough casting of the exhaust side port. Lap the valves and new seals.

Check tranny gear dogs for cracks. Seems engagement dogs in oil changes happening a lot lately. Clean up the casting in your intake & exhaust ports. Not a port and polish, just a clean up.

You don't say what year bike you have????

Replace the old regulator and rectifier with a solid state Reg/Rect or build one yourself, do the pamcopete mod.

Agreed on the exhaust port clean up.

All the above plus clean and lube the clutch worm and cable - replace cable if any fraying; install new clutch pushrod bushing and oil seal; convert to one-piece clutch pushrod; supply 12 volt power directly to the ignition coil through a relay; depending on age and condition, consider replacing spark plug wires and boots and upgrading to a hotter coil.

As far as the 79 in a 77 frame the mods are the same. The differences in the years you already took care of, you got the VM carbs.
If you tear into the tranny to inspect for worn parts the ovedrive 5th gear is good idea.
Run a 17/32 sprockets.
The spoke wheels are lighter than mags. Improves the unsprung weight, improves handling.
Use an 11 mm bore brake master cylinder with a single disc brake up front. Using a lighter disc brake rotor helps the unsprung weight.
If you do the forks, either the Minton Mods or emulators you will need good shocks for the rear.
Do your own wiring harness. You can eliminate a bunch of the crap they put on stock. Run just what you need. Convert as many of the lights to LED's as you can. Saves current draw on the battery so the charging system can do a better job of keeping the battery charged.
Adding a volt meter to help keep track of the electrics is a good thing.
Mod the right side cover to add an oil cooler, maybe an extra oil filter.
Thats a few thing to consider as well as the other things others mentioned.
Leo

Last edited:
I've heard nothing but good things about the 277 degree rephase that Hugh's Handbuilt provides (Punskalar). Once I scrounge up the cash, I plan on sending my crank and cam his way!

I'm surprised nobody said "change the oil and filters"...guess that's a given. But you did say "best and most necessary modifications while doing a rebuild". XSLeo is right, you have some better-than-stock options for oil filters. Heiden and HHB come to mind, I'm sure there's more. Maybe replace your chain for an O-ring style. And replace those rear shocks, sheeesh...

I would definitely say that brake hoses should be at the top of the list! Rubber brake hoses may have a 5 to 10 year safe life span!
Replace with Teflon lined SS braided hose of good quality. While at it, maybe also change brake pads. Obviously, only use fresh brake fluid, preferably from an unopened bottle.
Caliper and disc upgrades also make a lot of sense, but hoses are definitely more critical!

Back