Valve Adjustment Tool

mgjaynes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for a tool to adjust my valves with. I have a 79 XS6502F. I have read elsewhere that a 4mm open-end wrench will work. Can anyone confirm this before I buy a tappet adjustment set from MikesXS for $32 and pay $10 shipping?

I've set a bunch O valves and a 10mm offset box, hold the stem with a needle nose works fine. I think I measured the square on the end of the stem at 3mm once. If you really need a wrench take a cheap stamped ignition wrench or other piece of say about 1/16 strap drill a small hole then drive the square tang from a small file into the hole with a hammer till its a good fit on the square. Did that once, lost it and just went back to a needle nose. Normally if the nut turns freely on the stem thread I just set the gap a titch wide and as the nut tightens, it closes the gap a little and it's set.

Great. I'll give that a go. I haven't tried to set the valve clearances yet. I hated to spend a bunch of money on a tool that I really didn't need.

yeah, save that money for all the other stuff your gonna need. fumbling around with the wrench and plyers gets easy after a few times.

I got them adjusted using the method suggested here. Thanks so much. However, one of the loocknuts was rounded off pretty bad. I could not get a wrench on it. I had to use some vise-grips. I don't know how well you can tell from the fuzzy picture. Anyways, can I just grab another nut from the hardware store? There isn't anything special about it is there?
tappet.jpg

I'm sure someone here with extra parts motors can set you up with a replacement. The nut is a J.I.S. type which is why it takes a 12mm wrench size instead of a 13mm. Sears sells a nice metric ignition wrench set. I use the 4mm wrench from that set.

The adjuster will just unscrew right up out of the arm. Grind the square off, cut a slot with a dremel tool to use a straight screw driver. Reinstall. Now use a straight blade screwdriver.
Leo

Maybe I used the wrong terminology.

The adjuster (threaded on the outside with the square head) is in fine shape.

The locknut that threads on to the adjuster is what is rounded off. Can I use a nut from the hardware store?

I have the Motion Pro 6 piece set, and it is monumentally easier to do with the tool set. If tou have multiple machines, or work on them, I'd get a set.

Thanks -- I have a locally owned hardware store down the street that has an exceptional stock of various nuts and bolts. I'll check on them before I look to order anything on the internet.

I know you asaked about a new nut, as 5twins said they are JIS nuts and are not the same as hardware store nuts.
You also asked about tools to adjust valves with. I suggested how to fix the adjusters so you can use any flat blade screwdriver. No special tools.
Leo

I would add that if the business ends of your adjusting screws are a bit beaten up, and you want new ones in order to get reliable gap settings without going the "elephant foot" route, get a set of Virago adjuster screws. They screw right into the rocker arms and take a small metric Allen wrench - easy to work with.

Back