Bobber Wiring

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
Saw a bobber wiring diagram for sale on eBay. Anyone know what this is or if it is actually worth a sh*t. . . . . or . . . . . better yet. . . . . anyone just have a simple wiring diagram. I would prefer just to run the bike with no battery and a simple wiring scheme, but that may be asking too much.

I bought it before I found this forum. It's the same thing you'll find here. Well, you'll find more ways to wire here. So don't waste your money.

can't run without a battery unless you do a lot of other hi-jinks, changing over the whole charging system to a magneto type

I have found that if you can't find what you need here, you may not need it. Learned more about xs650 here than any place else....... just saying and Thanks to all the people who post and help.

I have a 1979 yamaha xs650 special. changed the wire harness, got new dual output coils, have on order a pamco ignition, but i ran into a little dilema, its been awhile since i have worked on it and have forgot where each wire plugs into and i really want to know if theres a way to get around have all the wires hooked up or can i just hook up certain ones? i dont just mean for my coils and ignition, i mean for everything electrical. what are the fellow xs650 owners opinions?

I have a 1979 yamaha xs650 special. changed the wire harness, got new dual output coils, have on order a pamco ignition, but i ran into a little dilema, its been awhile since i have worked on it and have forgot where each wire plugs into and i really want to know if theres a way to get around have all the wires hooked up or can i just hook up certain ones? i dont just mean for my coils and ignition, i mean for everything electrical. what are the fellow xs650 owners opinions?

You don't need the "Light Checker", the "Reserve Lighting Unit", or the "Cancelling Unit".
You should keep the "Safety Relay".

Its highly recommended to replace the original 4 postion fuse panel (glass fuses) with new automotive blade type fuse holders.

You don't need the "Light Checker", the "Reserve Lighting Unit", or the "Cancelling Unit".
You should keep the "Safety Relay".

Its highly recommended to replace the original 4 postion fuse panel (glass fuses) with new automotive blade type fuse holders.

But its a new wire harness, i dont really want to hack it up.
How would i go about doing that?
And if i take away those things, what do i do with the plugs for them on my harness?
Sorry for all the questions, its my first bike and first project.

And if i take away those things, what do i do with the plugs for them on my harness?

are you meaning use something like the ones on this page?
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-32.html
Part #14-0771

Hello Friends,

I recently acquired a hardtail bobber with a TT120R motor, Boyer MKIII electronic ignition and a few electrical issues. Disc brakes front and rear. It's only running headlight, taillight and brake light.

Brake Light Issue: Both the headlight and taillight work, but neither front nor rear brake levers activate ta brake light. It has aftermarket Harley-style handlebar controls, and the brake lever has two wires running from a switch. It has a 2-tab, hydraulic brake light switch in the rear brake line that has one tab broken off. The wires and connectors are there, but they weren't plugged in when I bought the bike. I opened up the front brake control and didn't see any loose wires or other obvious problems. I touched the leads from the rear hydraulic brake light switch together, but the tail light did not illuminate.

Other Electrical Issue: The previous owner (who definitely was not the builder) told me the battery sometimes goes dead. He said he thought the motor might still have a 6v alternator even though the electrical system was 12v. He said that as long as he keeps the bike on a battery tender, he never experienced a problem on 1-2 hour rides (although I gather he must have been stranded at some point). I've done the same and, so far, have not been left stranded anywhere. The bike has both an ignition and a kill switch PO says the kill switch was installed to cut off power from the battery. However, the kill switch doesn't seem to affect battery power and seems to be wired directly into an electronic box sitting next to the Boyer unit.

Best Regards,
Anthony Martello
xkglow.com

Since you are inexperienced with bikes and perhaps wiring as well, I suggest you try to run the bike with all of the stock components,so you won't have to do any "hacking". Once you ride the bike for awhile, you will learn which things you may want to delete.

I don't know what harness you have. If its from Mikesxs, it should have the right connectors to plug into your bikes components. Wiring is complex, so you need a road map to show you what connects to what. That map is the wiring diagram. Look in the "Tech" section under "Wiring Diagrams", and find one that matches your bike. The wiring is colour coded, to identify what they are for. You also need a manual such as Haynes, that has wiring diagrams.

If your harness has a new fuse panel, then it should be OK. Its the old 30+ years fuse panels that cause a lot of problems.

Anthony
I do alot of custom wiring on many bikes and what you need to do first is buy a test light that you can trace the wires. Sounds like neither are hooked up. Many guys that build leave stuff off that they don't think they need. I have got many bikes over the years come in and all works but brake lights. I would also double check your charging system because if you were running a 6 volt alt. i don't think the boyer would work correctly unless its wired right to the 12volt battery but then you are not charging. So you may want to buy a repair book and sit down and read or try and find someone in your area that has worked on this style bike. Good luck with your build.

Back