Pros/cons of fiberglass tanks?

miller0613

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a new tank for my bobber project and keep coming acrossed fiberglass tanks. Personally I know nothing about them and was wondering the upside/downside of using such a tank. thanks

Todays gas will melt your tank and clog you carbs. It is said some products are out there to line you tank to prevent the de-lamination. I would not try it. Tony C

Omars , and some other people make glass tanks. They would probably know what your up against. I plan on running a glass tank on my new build. I plan on lining it with kreem, or gorilla snot. It seals a steel tank, why would'nt it seal a glass tank ?

According to Omar's, his tanks are fine with the gas available now - I think it's the alcohol in some gas that is the problem.

Kreem has a checker history - it may be an application problem rather than a product problem but either way, be careful.

According to Omar's web site : " Unique feature. The interior of this tank is coated with Gard-CoatTM. This is a secret* barrier which the alcohol in ethanol fuels can not penetrate. Alcohol will eat away the inside layer of polyester resin in uncoated fiberglass tanks. "

Back