Dna springer?

William

Cant Get Enough
Reaction score
Hey everyone. What is involved in putting a dna springer front end on my 82? I just ordered new tapered steering head bearings. Since the tree was off i figured why not! Does the dna have an sae axle size? Hope there is not too much involved cause im pretty new to this!! Thanks ahead of time.:thumbsup:

"use tapered roller bearings for the XS650. use ONLY the outer races. use 1" i.d. trailer wheel bearings in the tapered XS races (or oem harley bearings, same thing, but the trailer bearings are cheaper). slides right in. just have to trim the nut under the upper clamp about 10mm. i just put a 2" under DNA springer on my XS. worked like a charm." I read this on another site... Sound right? Can it be? Thought i would ask you guys whatcha think.

I have found them used for 200 and new up to 600. Not sure what to get though. Thinking about 2 under... Any suggestions?:bike:

I have never ridden a springer but i would think it would be a rougher ride than stock. Used to be into mini trucks and from my experiance aftermarket suspension = bad ride! But im with ironhead on the ride vs look!

Will, go to the first link inxs put up. Go to the 2nd page. I posted whole slew of pics, it's easy. I used the trailer bearing and race. Bigjimmy found the bearing online, a few posts below mine. The hard part is the dust shield, still working on that. :thumbsup:

I have heard that a true Harley spring rides good. Never rode one nor can I afford one if I found one. The DNA is niceand solid. How ever don't plan on ridding it long distance. Think of it as a pogo stick. That's what it sounds like and feels like. I LOVE the looks of it but my current build is keeping the stock front end!

A few years back my dad had a Knuckle in a rigid frame with a springer front...Bike was surprisingly smooth, comfortable actually...I image the newer Harley springers are much smoother that the 40's ones...The DNA springers aren't too bad, but they can be pretty noisy...

I had a springer on my '56 Pan, with a hard tail. Did not ride bad, but I would ache after a couple hours riding. 'Course, I was allot younger then. Had a stretch of 4", and a sprung saddle. Only had a pea pad for the bitch's, but never had any complaint's.
It could get a little difficult turning at times, but, like anything, you learn to drive it. It had a drum brake on it, 'cause the disc would lock-up at the most inconvienient time's. The drum was much better to control.:yikes::wtf::twocents:

Back