Question about PMA

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to possibly buying parts or a kit to do a PMA swap on my 1980 Special.

The PMA kit on MikesXS looks identical to the XS-Charge kit, and if true, would include a 130-Watt stator. Is there a big difference between the 130-Watt compared to say, 200-Watt or even 220-Watt stator?

If yes, I have another question: say I get the 200-Watt stator from Hughs but don't want to buy the whole kit, so I get the rest of the parts from a kit-minus-stator. What I'm confused about is Hughs is the only one that makes any mention of a flywheel, sold separately from the stator. All the other parts places sell just the rotor, strator, regulator, bracket etc, as the kit. Are they including the flywheel but not making mention of it? Now I'll be honest and say I don't know much of the difference between these parts, yesterday I took off my alternator cover to check the brushes for the first time in my life. :shrug:

Thanks

You will be better in the long run buying the kit from Hugh. His after purchace help is the best. His kits are complete and very powerful compared to the other kit.

How much power do you need?

A permanent magnet alternator puts out full power all the time. The regulator then shunts (grounds out) any unused power. If you only need 100 watts of power to run the headlight and ignition then the regulator would shunt 30 watts in a 130 watt system, and 100 watts in a 200 watt system. That shunted power doesn't just disappear, it turns into heat. That is why the regulators have cooling fins.

Also, just saying that an alternator has X watts of output is meaningless without knowing what RPM the readings were taken. The power output increases with RPM.

The way the stator is wired will also effect output. A delta-wound stator will put out more total power than a wye-wound stator, but the wye-wound stator will put out more power at low speeds.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I currently have a halogen headlight and alarm system, stock TCI. Before I get a PMA I will be getting the ultimate high output Pamco. I use electric start a lot. I also hope/plan to add a stereo system in the future and probably electronic gauges too. That's why I was wondering about getting a higher output alternator.

That's interesting about the stator wiring. Did not know that.

I bought the kit from XS-Charge and it included everything needed. I don't think you need a flywheel. What is needed is rotor, stator, bracket, and regulator. The main difference between the two kits is that Hughe's bracket is two pieces. (other than the watt difference)

Can anyone explain how you calculate the power required? I plan on running LEDs turn signals, Pamco, Sparx cap, headlight and possibly an acewell speedo and wouldn't know where to start to work out the load.

Thanks tonyc. With reference to mrriggs comments above; I dont want to run a 200w system if I don't need it. I'd be happy to go with Hugh's if I need 200w for stability but I'd like to know whether or not that is the case.

Thanks tonyc. With reference to mrriggs comments above; I dont want to run a 200w system if I don't need it. I'd be happy to go with Hugh's if I need 200w for stability but I'd like to know whether or not that is the case.

HONESTLY, go to Hughs web site / blog thingie and send him an e-mail. HIS service is WORLD CLASS, he has helped me out SOOOOoooooooo much with ANY QUESTIONS you have and is NOT an ASSHOLE to noobs like me when I asked 10,000 questions. Since being here I look to see if Hugh has what I need and will buy it from him hands down EVEN if its DOUBLE the price of the competitor, THAT is how helpful he has been to me ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support folks. Our kit is 200W at 1500RPM, and provides plenty of power for high draw accessories, lights, etc.. We offer great customer service, and excellent components. While we aren't as inexpensive as XS-Charge, we do offer some of the best components on the market. With well over 2200 PMA's sold to date, we have had less than 10 Stators ever come back as defective, usually install error induced. We warranty that too :laugh:

If price is your biggest concern, shoot me an email, and I'll be happy to work with you. I prefer to see folks enjoying these bikes - that's what we do at Hugh's HandBuilt

Hugh

Thanks for chiming in Hugh. As I mentioned earlier my biggest concern isn't about cost but rather with reference to mrriggs post above; whether 200w PMA was excess to my requirements and going to introduce heat issues.

Thanks for chiming in Hugh. As I mentioned earlier my biggest concern isn't about cost but rather with reference to mrriggs post above; whether 200w PMA was excess to my requirements and going to introduce heat issues.

I didn't mean to imply that you would have "issues" from running a larger-than-required alternator. Just that once your power needs are met, any power you make past that is simply dumped to ground. It'll rob an immeasurable amount of power from the crank and make the regulator warmer. That is not detrimental but, on the same note, not productive either.

You do need to go a bit oversized to compensate for the lower output at lower speeds. I am planning a series of tests to chart the output of various systems to better answer the question of how big is big enough.

More power does make it nice for Kick Only engines running a capacitor. I've used a infrared temp gun on the regulators we use, and they barely get above 75 degrees when mounted in an area right next to the engine. I can't say what the others run however.

Back