XS650 Electric Start System

Cheers! XSLeo, one other question, I have unplugged the self canceller unit can I eliminate the reed switch all together as I am trying to fit the wiring in a different headlight and need to cut out as much as possible. I have been reading through this forum and found a comment on the signal indicator only turning on when signaling one way... I have changed my gauges to mini ones that have LED warning lights so does this mean I have to change the signal indicator to a non-polarized LED?:shrug:

Yes you can. It's in the speedo and just clips in place. If you have replaced the gauges then you already removed the reed switch.
On the new gauges, if it has just one indicater led for the turns, then a couple diodeswired between the left and right signals to the positive lead of the indicater, ground the negitive lead and then the one will flash for both sides. Sorry I can't link you right to the thread describing this, but a bit of searching and you will find the info.
Diagrams and all.
Leo

Thankx man, I'll do the diodes. I eliminated the reed switch and bought a new flasher, the #552 relay and the signals are working like a charm. I get the tank and rear fender back from paint and the wheels back from powder coat next week so I'll post some pics of the build. Cheers to you all for your direction:thumbsup:

Hi!

My engine is now quite ready, I have rebuilt it according to the manual. Then there was some parts left, electric starter parts. Strange, but in the manual there was nothing about them when putting the engine parts together.

So do I now have a problem, because I have not rebuilt the starter motor gears in an earlier stage? I am especially worried about the shaft, that should go from other side of the engine to another side. I attached a picture, that I found on internet, of it.

Pasi

Attachments

• starter_gear_shaft.jpg
    starter_gear_shaft.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 323
That shaft and the gear that goes on the starter side have to be installed when the cases are split. The gear goes into an opening that can only be accessed with the cases apart.
If you have the cases together without those parts, you have a choise to make. Leave them out and go kick only or split the cases to install the parts so you can use the elecgtric starter.
Leo

Thanks for the advice Leo!

Yes, I noticed that the shaft was not the problem, but the gear was. It was impossible to get it in its place afterwards, just like you said. When I realized that, I was thinking to go with kick start only. But now when I have been thinking it a couple of days, I think that I will split the cases after all.

I hope this is not a very stupid question, but do you know if it is only to pull the lower half of casing out of its place, put the gear and shaft in there, and then put the casing back? Or should it be done by dismantling the engine from upwards until I can get the access into that opening for the starter gear?

Pasi

If the engine is completely back together I would just flip it upside down and pull just the lower case half. No sence in tearing the top end apart.
Leo

Thanks again!

The job is now done, and it went quite nicely. Not so difficult that I was afraid of.

Pasi

I ordered new starter gear and spring. I just thought to send pictures of how big is the difference compared to the old parts.

Pasi

Attachments

• 2013-04-21-074.jpg
    2013-04-21-074.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 2013-04-21-076.jpg
    2013-04-21-076.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 489
This may or may not be of help to someone. I was able to squeeze the starter clip that goes on the gear that everyone is saying you have to remove the clutch to do with a pair of 11 inch Harbor Freight needle nose pliers. Before it just spun,now the electric starter works. I have no idea the lbs it takes to move it now but the starter does work.

I found some on Ebay a year or so ago. Try looking there. Maybe some of the online parts sellers have some. Like boats.net.
Leo

Ok, so maybe you have answered this. But please forgive me. I am now the proud owner of my 3rd XS. However, this is a old one. My others are 77's. This I believe, is a 72. I am having trouble locating the starter button. I don't think there is one, and believe it's somehow engaged with the Compression release? The Vin number indicates it's a 72, but maybe it's closer to the 71 year? I've got power, and good compression, and spark, I just can't figure how to turn the damn bike over without kicking it. Book was not a bit of help on this. Thanks guys!

Yes, the starter "button" is built into the compression release lever. Pull the lever and it triggers the starter, or should.

How hard is it to re-install the starter? Does it fit naturally into the correct position or did you have to work the engine? I am getting the same "ratcheting" noise from my XS 650. Every mechanic I've spoken too tell me it is the starter. Thank you for any information.

Hey tshadow6...INXS explains very well how to check/fix the "ratcheting" issue check out the first page of this thread. . Also, in my experience, the stater should kind of slide in and out, and not have to many issues. But hey...I've only been working on these 3 years, maybe I've been lucky:).

Hi!

I had quite much difficulties with installing the starter motor in its place, when the engine was on the frame. In fact it didn´t go there at all, so I had to take off all the engine mounting bolts, except the other one in the top mounting plate. So the engine was hanging with that one bolt (I had a bench under the engine, in case that the bolt would break), and then I was able to move the engine so that the starter motor went to its place. But it went just barely.

My bike is year model 1972, and maybe in the later models it goes better in place. I think so, because I have a manual, which I think is more for later models, and it says to put the starter back when the engine is mounted in the frame.

Pasi

When installing the gears that engage the crank between the starter and the crank, it mentions positioning the clip firmly into the groove. Mine barely fits and hangs on the outer edge of the groove. Is this okay, or does it fit in deep?

Replacement clips are made of bigger wire and are fitted BELOW the groove/slot in the case.

StarterClipPositions.jpg

From this informative thread

Back