1972 Cycles&Quads Custom Build

Cyclesandquadsxs72

Cyclesandquadsxs72
Reaction score
Here is what im starting with a 1972 Yamaha xs650 xs2 i purchased it for $1600 running im not sure what my bike will fall under when complete but i hope its badass. i can already envision it complete. every single piece on this bike will be new modified custom buit and painted or powdercoated when complete i hope you guys enjoy it because i will thanks. First pic and second pic is stock third is where im at now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77
  • first.JPG
    first.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 103
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
So the first thing in my opinion to go to fit my taste was the front end. luckily i traded a non running four wheeler for a semi complete front end off a 2002 Honda Cbr 954. I always love the look of bigger forks rotors and gold race calpiers. i originally wanted gold forks but this is what he had and it turned out awesome the forks have a gun metal finish. The swap was almost a complete bolt on. i used the old races of both machines and the stearing stem was perfect has no slop in it at all. there was one stock washer that we had to chuck in the lathe and make the id bigger. oh yeah if you want to do this be prepared for an electrical night mare but we will fix that later on. First picture is stock second and third is the shiny new sportbike forks.

Attachments

• fk1.JPG
    fk1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 69
  • fk3.JPG
    fk3.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 83
  • fk4.JPG
    fk4.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I decided i Wanted more Rubber on the ground and a mag wheel so i found a 1978 rear mag wheel and threw the biggest tire that would fit my swing arm and i had some cheap piggy back shocks that i threw on i need to get beefier ones but they will be Black and aluminum piggy backs. But the cheep ones will do until i find what i want. plus i cut the exhaust closer to the front of the bike. I wanted the mufflers tucked in and under me. I am going to powder coat the wheel and add a custom aluminum swing arm but ill cover that later. The first pic is of the addition of the piggy back shocks the second and third is Shocks and new mag wheel and fat tire.

Attachments

• tire1.jpg
    tire1.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 59
  • tire2.jpg
    tire2.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 69
  • tire4.jpg
    tire4.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Well I was going to say you're going to catch Hell here chopping up a nice bike. But I say it's yours do what you want.

Strangely enough,,,I kinda like what you're doing. At least you aren't chopping the frame, and can always go back. Or are you going to cut on the frame.

I messed up and was going to Bob my 72,,,then changed my mind. So any real value is lost for mine. I'm going to keep on your build. I'm strongly thinking about what you're doing.

I like what I see so far. Keep the pic's coming.

Oh ya. You want to get rid of your mirror's.

So i purchases a cafe seat from "hellboy" of ebay its great quality and badass looking. I will adress the mounting later still working on the wiring from the front end swap

Attachments

• seat1.JPG
    seat1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 71
  • seat2.JPG
    seat2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Seat3.JPG
    Seat3.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 102
  • seat4.JPG
    seat4.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 78
  • seat5.JPG
    seat5.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 81
I know i was gonna catch hell but i have a vision and i have to go with it or ill regret it i will end up with a okay bike or a badass one of a kind i appreciate the feed back how do i follow your build. Im gonna have some cool stuff later on making aclear clutch cover and external gas level fuel gauge.

Here is the tank. im gonna go with glossblack and flat black i have the badges for them plus im adding a aircraft grade gas cap due to complications of gas cap pin removal. The guy i bought it from jb welded both petcocks so i ground off both petcocks and like i said earlier a gas cap pin was frozen solin tried to knock it out and the pot metal around the kneck gave way. so i ground the filler neck out and putting a flush mount gas cap and shiny new petcock and badges. Now i have to weld the gascap and make or buy a clear fuel sight g.uge

Attachments

• tank4.JPG
    tank4.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 62
  • tank3.JPG
    tank3.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 68
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 48
  • tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 57
  • tank 5.JPG
    tank 5.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 80
What size are the tire's. Is the front wider than the back with that front end.

Calsxs2 this pics for you this is where im currently at with the bike and this is what it looks like with the old seat and new seat i still need to modify the rear frame to get the new seat to fit and look good. The rear tire is bigger than the front tire you could go with a smaller tire and still be bigger or the same size as than the front with the inverted forks. the rear tire size is 150-80-16 and the front is 120-70-17.

Attachments

• now withold seat.jpg
    now withold seat.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 85
  • new side.JPG
    new side.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for posting the pic.

I was pretty well set on using my original seat. But I think it might look too big. Of coarse it doesn't take up any more room than your cafe seat. I really didn't want to build a cafe. But damn,,,I like those big forks. How bad does it look in person with the original seat. Would you dare run it like that. Or does it look like ass,,,lol.

By the way. I guess that's you grinin like a goober in the background. You're standing there like a proud pappa saying " Here's my babby". :thumbsup:

lol thats my buddy jumping in the pic hes also working on his xs at my shop. the pictures dont do the bike justice yet in person the bike looks great and any one who has an xs that comes to the shop loves the front end and they all want the same look on theres. when i paint the tank and seat and side covers everything will look like its working together. heres some pics of the calipers i will be using on the front and rear they need cleaning but they are in great shape. and there gonna look bad ass when i mount them. I am gonna try to make my cafe seat work on the exixting hinges so i can swap seats when i want to take the wife for a ride because it looks good with the stock seat but better with the cafe. The First Pic is the front calipers the second is the rear and the third is my buddys who started the same time as mine at the shop work at the shop has slowed down ever since we got the bikes and were constantly sneeking of or finding excuses to work on them. And the mirrors i can sell you im not sure which one is original there both different.

Attachments

• holdens.JPG
    holdens.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 89
  • brake2.JPG
    brake2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 43
  • brake1.JPG
    brake1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
So i finally found time to work on my tank! My good buddy George from Precision Power (best engine builder ive ever met) helped me with welding my flush mount aircraft filler cap. i worked out the dents and with a little filler finish the prep on my tank. these pics are of the tank with black primer hopefully in the next week i can paint it. Flat black with gloss black should look badass.

Attachments

• tank41.JPG
    tank41.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
  • tank42.JPG
    tank42.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 59
  • tank43.JPG
    tank43.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 49
  • tank44.JPG
    tank44.JPG