Oil pressure guage....?

Swapmeet Louie

put some metal in yer eye
Reaction score
This is my 1st XS650. I'm wondering where might be a good place to drill and tap the case or a side cover for installing a mechanical oil pressure guage.

I've done it before on other makes and models. And was thinking that someone has had to have don this before on an xs.

So where did they/you install it?

Thanks, Lou

Here's where I tapped mine:

GaugeTap.JPG

Use a Marshal 1 1/2" liquid filled 0 to 20 PSI gauge.

took me a while to do mine, had to order the guage (0-30 liquid filled Marshall) (be on good terms with your parts guy :laugh:) then a hose and adapter kit, wanted to keep sidecase and filter cover clear so tapped into oil galley from the front, slight problem there, was drilling to tap size and behind the weld fillplug was a steel sleeve/bushing? suppose it was to keep weld from blocking oil passage when they filled the hole, so JB welded oil fitting into the hole.... about 15lbs. on startup drops to 5/6 after it gets warm and cruising 7 or so if getting on it, may check tolerance on the oil pump next time I have the case off this fall to see if that will bump it up

Attachments

• S6300598.jpg
    S6300598.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 564
  • S6300599.jpg
    S6300599.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 797
  • S6300600.jpg
    S6300600.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 497
Here's another way to tap it. I get about 15psi at cold idle. Cruise is 5-10psi warm. Warm idle is 1psi.

cooler2.jpg

The middle brass line is my oil pressure gauge, just a cheap diagnostic gauge I got from Harbor Freight. I'll probably take it off soon, there's really not much to look at once you get a feel for how long the bike takes to warm up.

Yes, there is a steel plug behind that epoxy they put on from the factory. I drilled through the epoxy, then tapped into the steel plug and pulled it out with a slide hammer. Fittings are 1/4" NPT, except for that little one going into the side of the oil filter cover, it's 1/8" NPT and required some delicate tapping.

I found that the oil pressure reading varied depending on what side of the oil cooler I measured it. It's probably best to take the reading at the filter, like pamcopete did. It's definitely the easiest spot to tap it, just take out two screws.

That looks like an oil cooler from a Type III or IV VW engine.

Back