Any problem using VW valve adjuster's

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to adjust my valve's. I read somewhere about using VW adjuster's. Since my adjuster's are rounded off thanks to the PO,,I went to my local Foreign car guy. Sure enough. The adjuster's are dam near identical,,except for the screw driver slot of course. :thumbsup:

I'm goin for it. I guess you guy's will tell me if I need to take them out. I really just wanted to share the part # for those of you considering using them. Part # 111-109-451. $2 each.

Attachments

• xs 217.jpg
    xs 217.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 216
  • xs 219.jpg
    xs 219.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 211
Oh they fit. :thumbsup:

They made it a breeze. I'm glad I invested the $8. Of course Mikes sell an Allen set too. But I didn't need to order anything, and these were local.

Attachments

• xs 224.jpg
    xs 224.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 206
That's a good tip, and even better to supply the part #.

I'm looking but I don't see any "rounding" on the stock ones?

They're plenty rounded. Just a bad camera angle. I'll get a pic. Can you guy's tell I like to take pic's,,,,lol.

The stock adjusters dimple the top of the valve a the gauge doesn't allow for the dimple so you don't a correct reading.

So I should be ok with these for awhile?

Didn't I read something about a big foot adjuster. Ever heard of it.

Porsche 911 adjusters. Mikes sells em with the rockers already modded or you can o it yourself. There's been a lot of discussions about it. Well worth doing.

I find it difficult to set the ajusters with a screwdriver. I have the origional tool for the tappet ajusters and it makes it a breeze

I find it difficult to set the ajusters with a screwdriver. I have the origional tool for the tappet ajusters and it makes it a breeze

Well I didn't know of such a tool. :doh: How about a picture. I was going to make one, but I figured what the heck for $8.

Here is the tool and a pic of the tool kit

Attachments

• P1160293.jpg
    P1160293.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 194
  • P1160295.jpg
    P1160295.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 213
  • P1110315.JPG
    P1110315.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 226
  • P1110335.JPG
    P1110335.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 184
  • P1110336.JPG
    P1110336.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 193
  • P1110337.JPG
    P1110337.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 187
^Improve it and make it an 8 point version. Or 8 on one end and 4 on the other, so there can be no complaints :D

P.S. Actually, the way the hole is placed in the wrench, if you flip it over, it's the same as 8pt. The other tools in the factory tool kit are the same way - 6 pt wrenches which give you 12pt freedom of movement if you flip them over. Don't know if that's the standard for 6 pt wrenches, because I don't have any.

Last edited:
Its fine to have a special tool to turn the adjuster screw, but there's really no need for it. I just loosen the 12 mm nut and turn the adjuster screw with my fingers, and re-tighten the nut...............can't get more simple than that.

I don't want guys reading this thread, and believing they need a special tool, when that's not the case.

So I should be ok with these for awhile?

Didn't I read something about a big foot adjuster. Ever heard of it.

If your stock ones look like the one in the picture, they are just fine to use. I sensed that you thought they were worn out and had to be replaced.

The VW ones will do the job also (but no better than the stock ones) ,if you like them better.

These VW adjusters are the "Elephant foot" type adjusters often referred to as a positive conversion/improvement on the stock part.. As I see it there are a few benefits to be had by running those, more surface area contacting the valve stem equaling less wear and easier adjustments, longer life and cheap replacement cost.. The only draw back Im aware of is there is a small bit of work that needs to be done fitting them.. You need to grind an area of the rocker arm so it has enough clearance, not a really big deal and even I could do it :) So... over all its a thumbs up from me!!
(http://www.650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5105&highlight=elephant)

.. Chris aka Robbo ..

Robbo;

This thread is talking about a standard VW adjuster which is not an "elephant foot"................see picture in #1 post. One is an apple and one is an orange, both fruit, but not the same fruit.

Back