Starter delete ????

branco

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
iv keep on reading that u can do this with a 53/64 freeze plug but the hole left behind after taking off the starter is way bigger then 53/64ths...... im missing something here and i feel like im gunna feel dumb once i get the answer.... thank guys for the help:yikes:

Attachments

• 2011-09-13_13-32-06_98.jpg
    2011-09-13_13-32-06_98.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 347
  • 2011-09-13_13-32-30_379.jpg
    2011-09-13_13-32-30_379.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 331
im pretty sure you need a 1 53/64" freeze plug...

you just missed the 1...

Yep it's it's an inch too small, here's what you need -

DORMAN - Part Number: 555-083. Description: Expansion Plug 1-53/64

Napa, Carquest, even Autozone carries them. I think I paid 56 cents.

yep i knew it was something dumb.... got the plug and fits great thanx guys

I know the question here's been entirely answered, but I got a related prob and thought this would be OK.

So I picked up one of MikesXS starter delete kit. I know, I know the freeze plug's out there, but I figured I would see how this one fit.... Well I don't know if the the thing's out of speck but the thickness when screwed together is larger than the thickness of the case wall. So this "kit" just slops around there, and wouldn't hold oil back if it tried.

Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem? Did you have to use a gasket to make it work. Really just feeling like is just a POS...and the freeze plug would fit better anyway. Paper weight maybe?

did you keep the rubber seal in place? i just installed the mikes one and it fits nice. But you need the stock rubber seal that was in there.

Unfortunately no...All seals out and junked with cleaning and repaint of the cases. Stuck without a seal. Guess it will be freeze plug or shipping for Mikes's parts. Thanks for the info!

sorry to bring up this old thread but just wondering if all starter gears can be removed? ive seen you can only remove the bendix and the gears under the left cover, but what about the transferring gears that run in the trans ?

yea i used link below finally got answer. im just gonna leave cross shaft in place and remove bendix and reduction gear if i ever get old i can reinstall

Hi

Post 16 in this thread tells you what you can remove through the starter cover, by taking the clutch cover off and what needs to be left until the cases are split - credit to 5twins for the diagram.

i keep hearing that the drain plug is able to be drove in with just a socket and maybe a hammer. but i bang the first one up so bad that i had to get another one. and this one seems to be the same. i think i might just get mikes starter delete plug.

Hi, yes it is - I put a little sealant around the edge to help it on its way. Take your time to seat it straight, then tap it home gently. If it feels to big, measure up with a vernier and if necessary, dress the edge with a fine file

Back