Triumph Scrambler style build

fancyketchup

Condiment Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on another XS forum, but thought I would put it up on here as well. Ive been working on this project since I got back from overseas in January. Ive named it PMPN8EZ(pimpin aint EZ). Its a 78 that I decided to "Triumphize". I really like the new retro Triumphs but I didn't want to spend the money. I was stupid and didn't take any before pictures of the bike when I got it home, but here is one that looked exactly like it(just nicer):
1976_yamaha_xs650c.jpg

At first I was just going to clean it up and ride it all summer... but then as I started to replace maintenance parts I ended up with this:

Image023.jpg

Image019.jpg

So, I decided that I was going to go all out and I sent out my frame for sand blasting and powder coating. I also purchased a Harbor Freight powder coating kit and a kitchen oven off of craigs.

Image018.jpg

When it came time to do the wheels and swingarm, the oven was obviously not big enough so I made one that I had seen on this forum. It consisted of a roll of sheet metal, heat gun, foil, a cut up cardboard box and some hammers:

Image015.jpg

A friend of mine dubbed it the EZ bake oven. It worked great, I stuck an oven thermometer in it and got a reading of about 380 deg after 10 min. So I then used some bookshelf mounts and some all thread and proceeded to powder coat my wheels and swingarm:

Image016.jpg

Image024.jpg

I purchased stainless spokes and some semi-offroad avon distanzia tires for a "scrambler" look and had them relaced mounted and balanced at Woodys Wheel Works here in Denver:

100_0072.jpg

100_0073.jpg

At this point I cleanup up the engine painted the lower casing and installed all stainless hardware. I plan to eventually rebuild the motor powder coating as I go along. Its so amazing how much easier powder coating is than painting. An once the part cools from the oven it is ready to install, no curing time. Plus the fact it is way superior in durability. Anyways, after I started to get most of the bike put back together, I installed new tapered bearing in the steering head and needle bearing swing arm bearings. I removed the electric starter motor(didnt work) and plugged the hole in the block. I rebuilt the forks with progressive springs and installed new rear shocks:

100_0070.jpg

Then I mounted the tires and started reinstalling parts. What I didnt realize was that every part that wasnt powder coated looks like pure crap. So I ended up powder coating every bracket, engine mount, and peice of metal that I could. I also installed a new nickel plated 530 oring chain and sprockets.

Image007.jpg

Image026.jpg

Image025.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image028.jpg

Oh, and yes, I am lame enough to put PMPN-8EZ on the pedestrian slicer(front license plate):
Image017.jpg

Next up was painting, I decided to go for a british racing green from a Jaguar. Everything was going great till the wire I was using to hold the tank up snapped ruining my paint job. Everything else turned out great though and I will be repainting the tank this weekend.

Image031.jpg

Image029.jpg

Image032.jpg

Image033.jpg

Image030.jpg

Sorting out wiring and getting ready to re-do the tank after I messed it up:

100_0075.jpg

100_0079.jpg

Image036.jpg

Resprayed the tank, applied decals:

100_0060.jpg

100_0066.jpg

100_0064.jpg

100_0063.jpg

This is the semi finished product, Ive ordered my fishhead big brake kit and will be ordering my pipe soon. Ill be riding it for a while like this:

100_00671.jpg

100_00681.jpg

100_00691.jpg

100_00701.jpg

100_00711.jpg

I know its dirty, Im waiting about a month for the paint to fully cure before detailing it out.

I love it !!
Ive never really thought about black cases ,rims&spokes but they look great.And the painted guards ! :thumbsup:

By overseas im guessing your a military man and I just want to thank you for your service. BTW great build I have always liked the Scramblers. Now your giving me more ideas, will it ever end:thumbsup:

Whats the seat off? Cool project ,I was going to build something like that but ended up taking the easy way out and bought a Triumph Scrambler.

That bike would be perfect with a high pipe setup. I'd like to build a set for my bike, I just need a little more practice with a TIG welder

- kool build made even better when its obvious the builder has enjoyed himself

- pop some home powder spray kit how to pics in here if you will

man didnt know you could home powder coat, more info plse.basically painting tripple clamps an head light for the same trumpy look,very cool

Looks good bro, love it all except the stock carbs and huge mirrors, but everything flows really nice and you did outstanding. As was mentioned earlier, Thank You for serving this country!

Cruza, Eastwood is probably the largest supplier of home powder coating kits there is, check them out. http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html

i wouldn't powdercoat the jugs/head. Your cooling would be severely affected. If you're dead set to do it, brake caliper paint/exhaust manifold paint is the way to go.

Aside from that - woo! That looks incredibly awesomesauce!

Great looking bike. Have you had a chance to ride it yet? My wheels were done by Woodys wheel works as well. My front end has a slight hop to it and it seemed to be the wheel. How did yours ride? Were you happy with there work?

Wow, thanks for all the comments everyone. I just got back from a deployment to UAE(around Abu Dhabi), it was pretty much a vacation. The seat came with the bike, I assumed it was the factory seat... I can get more pics of it if you want. Woodys did an excellent job on my wheels. Are you sure they didnt get damaged in shipping(I picked them up as they are here in denver)? Im getting side pipes either from Jemco or Scotts pipe, anyone that can weigh in on either, please do.

Edit: Oh and ive put about 150 miles or so on the bike, I love it.

I personaly would go with Scotts exhaust, that guy takes real pride in his work and im pretty sure he would custom make something for you if you wanted.

Very Nice! Where did you get the british style plate? I need one for my cafe bike!

Back