My 83 Bobber build

tigman175

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bought my first xs about 6 months ago. Paid $400 for it. Odometer read 9000miles. The guy i bought it from said it quit running on him and it had been sitting under his front porch for 2 years. The inspection sticker confirmed this. Borrowed a buddies truck and she was mine!!

full

Got it home, cleaned the carbs, sanded spark plugs, and charged battery and got it running. Rode it around for about 50 miles to make sure there wasnt any problems that needed addressed and then began to disassemble.

full

cut the rear section off and gave it to a buddy to be blasted

full

I picked up a junk motor to be used during fabrication so the frame doesnt warp.

full

A buddy of mine has a xs and had a tcbros hardtail lying around so i gave it a mock up.

full

I wasnt really a fan. The frame stuck out way past the biltwell seat i had bought and didnt like the lower bars being bent so far back. Nothing against it but everyone has their own preferences right?? So i decided to make my own jig and hardtail.

I ground and cut off everything that wasnt needed and filled in the factory welds in the downtubes.

full

This pic is before i made front jig brackets (jackstand setting stance i want). Dont mind the pcs in the middle of the jig. They were just scrap pcs i had laying around to keep the frame centered from side to side.

full

After the front brackets made

full

I made jig for rear axle. measured for a ride height of 4". Moved the front of the bike for about a 3.5" stretch. The axle plates in this picture are just temporary until i figure out my angles that are needed.

full

I measured, measured, and remeasured until i was satisfied!!
I bought 18' of 1.125 X .125 dom tubing, borrowed a tubing bender, got out the angle finder and tubing notcher and away i went.

full

No that is not my hardtail gusset, once again just a scrap pc i had laying around.

full
full

I got my angle figures out and a design i liked and cut out my axle plates at work

full

Here is a drawing i drew to scale

full

The bottom bars are bent, i have no pictures but will post some up of the completed frame when finished

Not a fan of stretched rigids but your build methods are solid. Something tells me you do something similar for a living. What did you cut your axle plate out with? Looks clean.

Thank you. I am a foreman for a heavy sheet metal fabrication shop so I was a little reluctant on having somebody else's welds on my bike. The plate were cut out by cnc laser.

Got pretty much everything welded up except for the cross bars. Their positions will be figured out after I have a fender. Welded as much as I could before having to take the motor out to finish the last few inches
full

full

full

full

Then I just had to put it together to see the stance!!!!!!
full

Looks killer. I'm also a foreman(as of last week actually) at a speciality sheetmetal shop. What machine are you using on the bike?

Found myself an old spare tire ring. I cut it to the length i wanted and it seems a little flimsy. I really dont want to run the fender struts in the back so i cut a pc of 1/8 stainless and rolled it up and am going to weld it in the inside to strenthen it some.

full

full

full

seems more rigid just holding it in place.

Back