UK Street Tracker Build

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After many months of following this site and others, I have finally made a start on the rebuild of my '79 SE which I have owned for about 15 years. I have been inspired by a few notable xs builds including the work of Punkskalar and 50Gary. Key features include more modern front and rear ends; rephase; 750 big bore; pma conversion, complete engine rebuild and total rewire from scratch. Will try and post some pics, but current status is front and rear end grafted on (both FZR600R - swingarm required extensive modification, soon to be wearing a gsxr 600 shock; front end was a doddle - xs tapered bearings on the fzr stem); crank and cam currently being modded by Jerry at Heiden Tuning in Holland; VF500 stator and reg/rec; rd350 rotor with Rick Page converter plate; wiring diagram drawn by hand (looking for simple mac software to put it on the laptop). Got a tailpiece from a SRX600 but undecided about what to do with the subframe.
Will catalog more changes as they occur. General thanks to the site for all the info and inspiration!

Last edited:
Just had a pm question about the fzr rear end graft onto the xs so thought I might as well copy my answer here for the record:

There was quite a lot of modification involved, but I have a good welder/machinist buddy which made it all a lot easier.
I took a '94 FZR600R complete rear end and removed all the bearings and cross-tube. Then shaved either side of the swingarm mounts to fit inside the XS frame (only about 5mm each side). My buddy then turned up some 'top hat' bushes out of super tough ptfe to replace the bearings. This meant I could still use the original cross-tube. We then tacked mounts for the fzr shock on the lower xs frame cross tube and on a new cross tube that sits across the rear subframe below where the battery box used to sit. You have to play around to get the correct angle of swingarm and linkage. The fzr spring proved to high rate, so I replaced with a GSXR600 shock with remote reservoir (shorter than the fzr). Relocated the frame mounts (but used the fzr linkages which fit the gsxr shock). Then looked at fitting a suitable rear sprocket: my original xs one was a 33 tooth (with a 17 front) and was way too small to reach the fzr mounting holes on the sprocket carrier. I contacted a custom sprocket manufacturer and the smallest possible rear that would fit the fzr wheel was a 36 tooth. That meant going up to an 18t on the front. I am running 520 chain and sprockets to get the clearance from the rear tyre. To that end I (or rather my buddy) has shved a little off the sprocket carrier and hub outer edge to give clearance for the chain. In addition he had to weld the new 18t to the old 17t front, shave off the teeth then mill out the centre of the 18t so this is now offset by a further 8mm. That just gives enough clearance on the chain run.
The last issue is that the chain would foul the top of the swingarm at the angle I had set so welder-buddy had to cut/grind/shut that side of the s/a to lower the top face. I am going to run a nylon guide on there as well.
If I did it all over again I think I would opt for an older fz rear end that was overall narrower and save a lot of the grief. Anyhow, I think it will look really good and hopefully ride well too. We shall see.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Back