Ignition switch opinions

racerdave

^ Gone not forgotten ^
Reaction score
What have any of you guys used for a ignition switch ,Other , than a oem style. The oem is too big. I want something small, that does use a key. It only needs 2 connections. Hot going in, and hot out once turned on. Thinking I want to mount it around the yellow

keymount3.jpg
dot

Maybe an old BSA or Triumph switch? If memory serves, they were pretty simple, one-position, on-off switches, pretty compact and in fact mounted where you indicate. But my memory is maybe not so good...and yessir that would be LUCAS Electrics, proceed at your own risk.

I got my small just on/off switch at the local farm supply. $16. Sold as a replacement for an old Ford Tractor.
Leo

I have one of it mounted. The other is a pic from the J&P catalog.
My switch loks just about the same. Just cost less.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 381-718_A.jpg
    381-718_A.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 167
The one I have mounts in a 7/8 or 15/16 inch hole. From the face where the key goes to the rear where the wires hook is 1 1/2 inches long.
The one in the pic probably uses the same size mount hole but looks to be maybe 2 inches long.
Heres a pic of it from above on the bike.
Leo

Attachments

• 10-23-11 005 (640x480).jpg
    10-23-11 005 (640x480).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 172
Don't know. As I said, I got it from the local farm supply. TSC by name. Look in your phone book.
Leo

Try www.tractorsupply.com
Put in this number 0236570 in the search box. When the item comes up, put in your zip code in the store locater and they will tell you where the stores around you are. Current price is $15.99.
Leo

XSLeo, that switch looks doable. Are the leads soldered on or removable? Farm and Fleet is the local store similar to TSC. We use to have those nearby.

If I remember they are soldered on. They are 6 to 8 inches long, with ring ends. Not hard to shorten or lengthen.
About the smallest I found, and don't cost near as much as most.
Leo

Back