tc vs g&l hardtail

nkymain485

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in the process of chopping up a 72xs2, i know there are a few people who dont like this but i bought it as a roller, no body parts really and think id rather hardtail it and restore another thats in nicer shape....anyways i had my mind set on a tc hardtail, but after looking at them the seats are extremly sloped, like you would almost slide backwards.... the g&l however is not near as sloped... i tried to google a comparison cant seem to find anything...if there is a post already feel free to just post that link

The TC back-half is designed more for a single hinge front, dual rear spring style seat. The slope on the G&L is not much different than the TC. Still uses the same type seat. Of course you could call them and ask them about doing a drop seat style.

I have the g and l and it is less sloped because of having a father stretch in the rear. 4 or 5 inches compared to 3 on the tc.

Both seem like very good products I like the axle plates and more stretch so went with g and l. So probably just preference, I would think the more stretch the more "level" your seat would be without larger springs. There is a long turn around time on g and l if you are in a hurry.

yeah im leaning more toward the g&l... though im going to lower my forks i still think tc is just to sloped from being to short.... thanks for the input!

Go with Elswick Cycles they are so much better!!! Everyone says they wish they would have got the elswick dropseat or just theres in genral because they are so much better. I just had to fix a Tc Bros hardtail today because they dont even tig weld there hardtails and it was very shitty... Im running a specail for Elswick hardtails $275 for the Regular and $300 for the dropseat plus shipping.

then after you pay for shipping take it to a shop that has a jig to make sure it is attached correctly or send it to one and pay more shipping. then when you find a shop that has a jig and can attach it correctly pay for that service and budda bing you have officially paid more for a kit, shipping, more fab and welding at a different shop and possibly more shipping then if you would have sent the originator off your frame project the frame to have it done right on a jig in the first place. ooooooh yes marketing at its best. shops charge what they need to keep going. i have never cared what the others charge but can tell you that i charge 500 to build a hardtail to your specs on your frame on my jig and dont require you to cut anything off of it first. some are cheaper and some charge more, and i dont care. it is what i have to have to keep the bills paid at my shop. dom steel isnt cheap. and i can tell you that no matter where you go it will end up being cheaper to have a shop do a weld on rigid right to your frame then the inconvenience and expense of shipping, the kit, and then finding someone that can attach it right for you and possible more shipping back. kits are great selling products. they can give the customer a sense of getting something of worth for cheap. now take that same kit and have a shop weld attach it....... not cheap anymore. usually ends up being a greater cost. i have had guys come to my shop and tell me this same story wishing that they had come and had me build thier rigid to thier frame in-house or if not ,... then to have sent in thier frame and had the kit maker attach it there. either way it would end up cheaper. im not saying you cannot attach a kit without a jig.......... it can be done correctly however to do that you would either be in a position to have built your own anyway. now with all that being said here is my finally........

i have dealt with richard at g&l in colorado and with elswick cycles and they are both great shops i might add. elswick does fabulous welds too. i dont have any exp with tcbros, but they do a big business in kits too. so if you are looking to have one if these shops build your kit why not send them your frame and have it done up complete... i would almost bet you will be happier with the end product and price if you have a shop do it all for you on your frame at one time. good luck.

Well since it's been 5 months since the question was asked, it's very likely that he's well beyond this. Unless he builds as slow as I do!

nkymain485, how's the build coming along? Get that hardtail figured out?

I'ev been trying to decide the same thing.. budget is the biggest issue...I really want a drop seat but the long wait from g&l and the convenience from tc makes it hard to decide... I'm ready now!!!

Tc bros here. No complaints at all.

Ive got a very nice road king that is essentially ignored, I hop on my hardtailed xs and it's an attention getter. Maybe they are just laughing at me lol.

I think it's funny that rockabilly Bad mouths the tc bros and now is selling them, I guess their quality improved.

Here is my G&L hardtail. I had Rich install mine and it was worth the wait.
xs650003.jpg

I think it's funny that rockabilly Bad mouths the tc bros and now is selling them, I guess their quality improved.
I wondered the same thing that Jurob asked! TcBros quality must have improved if hes now selling their hardtails and all of their other parts in the classifieds, for much cheaper than TcBros sells them! I guess they are solid built hardtails then?

XsC

I sent my frame to TC Bros, they did a very nice job with the hardtail and are very good to deal with, could not be happier. I have no experience with G&L.

I was ready to do a TC build but I have a problem with the style. They use the same bends on the lower runs as they do on the upper tubes coming down to the axle plates. For my taste it makes the frame too wide to get a nice fit on the seat. I am also a fan of kicking up the lower tubes closer to the motor. I did call TC and they were very nice to tal with and as I guessed before the call, they have lots of tubes pre bent for production so getting what I wanted was not possible. Bsically the lower runs and uppers are the same tubes cut at differen lenghts. Makes it easier to produce, keeps costs down but I am not sold on the look.

G&L has a nice design but again I am not a fan of the axle plates. I did talk to a few other builders but they seemed to be busy enough and didn't want to get into anthing away from what they do. TC was the only builder I found that used 1 1/8 tubing that matches the stock O/D closely. I am doing a few now with rear shocks but want to do a rigid again someday when I have time. I will probably find a local bender and design my own. Everything is a personal choice. The buck plays into it also. Shipping can be pricey if you want to send your frame back and forth to get the rear installed. Even getting a kit to you can cost. Many options. I think most all who sell kits are going to provide you with better set up then you can do yourself especially if you are new at this.

I never even looked at TC Bros quality. The geometry of the hard tail looks all wrong. The way the bottom frame tube kicks up at the far back end of the frame, just looks wrong. It's kind of an over thought. I think the G&L tail looks so much better.

Back