Ractifier/regulator

aus-xs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace my rectifer/regulator on the 1978 XS650 bike. As you can see from the image, its on its last legs.

i ordered the Solid State Rectifier Regulator(Part #24-2089) from MikeXS. It has 7 wires while the current connection has only 5. I tested the output and its putting out 23 amps.
I dont know what to get to replace this but is this because the part attached is only a rectifier?
I dont know much about electrics so be gentle:)

Attachments

• IMG_0232[1].jpg
    IMG_0232[1].jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0235[1].jpg
    IMG_0235[1].jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 201
In '78, as far as I know, the rectifier and regulator were still separate units. I don't know what that is in your pics, maybe some P.O.'s wet dream, lol. This is the regulator, under the left side cover and attached to the side of the battery box .....

Electrics-Left.jpg

The rectifier hangs off the bottom of the battery box. It's an open air affair and looks something like this .....

Rectifier.jpg

Your second picture is the rectifier. Have you tried to clean the parts? Mine was also giving me issues but after a good clean and finding some metal shavings in the mix everything works fine again.

I think those pics are from under the seat. In pic #1 the black box with 3 white wires, a red and black wire is the rectifier. The silver and black unit is the starter relay.
The box that only the wires can be seen maybe the safety relay, can't tell for sure the wire colors.
23 amps or 23 volts? Big difference. If volts then your reg is probably bad.
Mike's #24-2089 is for the 70 -79 bikes. Find the plugs for the regulator and rectifier on you bike.
From your bikes harness rectifier plug to the reg/rec.
3 whites -----3 yellows
1 red --------1 red
1 black-------1 green
From the regulator plug to the reg/rec
green -------orange
brown-------blue
case to ground
Thats what we figured out on another thread about Mike's reg/rec.
Leo

Back