Has anyone made a "cable-less" choke for Mikuni BS34's?

82xs650

Legion of Doom
Reaction score
My choke cable is bad and I don't really want the choke cable anyway, I would like to make some kind of lever and I was just looking for ideas on how this might be done.

Also, what are those little rubber plugs in the pilot jet passages for? I pulled them out when I cleaned the carbs but I was smart enough to keep them and someone told me you have to keep them in.

Thanks.

You could possibly adapt a choke lever and parts from an earlier model bike. 80-84 shared the same carbs I believe, mine is an 81 and uses a choke rod without a cable. You should keep the choke feature if you like starting your bike. You do need to keep those rubber plugs in your carbs for them to work properly.

You can use the parts from an '80-'81 as James said. You will need the 2 ball bearings, the 2 springs and the rod with the pull tab end. You will retain the two '82 choke actuators though (the piece that screws onto the rod and pulls out the actual enricher).The enricher is different on an '82, being that it has a plastic roller end instead of the solid brass end as the '80-'81's have, so the rollers are bigger, thus needing the '82 actuators. The '80-81 are too small in ID. Or you can get '80-'81 enrichers.
Also by doing this you will delete the bracket that holds the cable to the top of right carb, thus letting you remove the whole carb assembly without having to remove the top carb bracket.
I like the pull choke myself and switched it on my '82. It works a whole lot better IMHO.
And yes, you need those rubber plugs.

Bill's tip of the day: "If it was on there when you took it apart, why would you not put it back?"

Last edited:
82-84 Heritage specials used the cable to handlebar lever operated choke. A feature I like by the way. The cheapo's way to convert is to reuse the existing rod by drilling shallow holes in it for the ball dents and fashioning a knob for the end of it.
For balls and springs;
Go get a grease zerk fitting. drill the end where you can see the little ball till the ball falls free find the ball and spring use them in your carbs, done. One is enough, most bikes had two, one in each carb. This "could" be done without even removing the carbs but it's better to have them on the bench, the phillips head screws would be hard to get off and tighten back on.

View attachment 8749

View attachment 8750

View attachment 8751

The Heritage carbs have the hole for the spring and ball drilled.
The detents are 180 degrees, opposite the existing detents on the shaft.
Ball and springs can be had for free from a zirk fitting, just lightly drill the end to release the ball and spring. remove the fitting from the end of your rod and sub some sort of knob, epoxy it on. The knob will be on the opposite side from where it normally is, but who cares? You just need to be able to move your hand from the throttle to choke and back uh quickly. (laugh)

I use the '80-'81 rod. It's easier than trying to drill the other one out and it's the correct length. Trying to find a rod with a knob that isn't busted, well that's a little harder.
I just don't like the cable choke. I've always had the pull type and my hand naturally goes to the carbs for the choke.

That looks to be the correct one. You'll need the spring(s) and ball bearing(s). The ball bearing(s) can be obtained as Gary explained.
The rod goes through the carb body as normal, (from left to right) but you will see the rod guide has a hole through it and into the carb body. Put a spring in there followed by a ball bearing. The pull knob with be on the left side of the carbs

Tip: As you slide the rod in from one end, depress the ball bearing into the body with a small flat screwdriver from the other. As the rod starts to pass over the ball slowly pull the screwdriver away. This lets you "pop" the rod over the ball bearing without it coming out of the guide. Get it?

grease the spings and bearings also before inserting them. Yes that sure looks like the right shaft.

Is this normal? This is mine. Someone said my choke is moved from stock...

3bfc1d0d.jpg

5d800ea5.jpg

Ya, that ain't stock. The bracket and choke mechanism on the carb is of the cable type, but someone has added an aftermarket pull to it. That cable should run up to the thumb choke lever on the left handle bar.

Back