Valve spring compressor

xs650bk

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What valve spring compressor are folks using? I tried the ones that advance auto parts loans out and a very similar one to the mikesxs $40 one i bought on ebay. I couldn't get the springs to budge with either. Both compressors actually got bent while trying this - i have to be doing something stupid. Do these require heavy duty compressors or something or could there be a problem with the springs ? - i see some folks using C-clamps. This is off a 78 motor that was off the bike when i bought it but seemed to move when kickstarting so i don't know what worked and what didn't. Any advice would be much appreciated.

wow you must be doing something wrong? I use a a 6" C-clamp. with an adapter I made. Very little effort is needed to start compressing the springs.

spring compressor (800x597).jpg

Here's one retiredgentleman made.
View attachment 2215

Yes, you must be doing something wrong. I have the $40 C clamp one from Mike's and think it works wonderfully. I've tried several other styles over the years and this one works the best by far. It brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

Your doing something wrong.... Get yourself a clymers manual if your rebuilding.... It is a life saver for first time rebuilds... I purchased the valve spring compressor from mikes xs with the different size end pieces.... It worked perfect....

That's strange. I used the olde skool type with the adjustable 'fork' and it worked perfectly. Make sure the fork or the adapter is only pressing on the spring retainer and not catching the 'pocket' on the sides.

Spring compressor:
KD_Tools_383_Overhead_Valve_Spring_Compressor.jpg

The casting 'towers' on either side of the valve spring retainers are a pretty tight fit, if the fork or tube is on that rather than the retainer yes it will bend stuff.

HeadCamSpringsRetainers.jpg

Tight clearance:
14.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 10" C Clamp for $5 and cut a notch in the top just big enough for the little collars to fit through.. works like a charm.

Attachments

• cclamp.jpg
    cclamp.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 372
hi guys ,,,,i purchased a cheapish fabricated valve compressor from supercheap it was about 8"high wnd 6" wide it has a long screw for adjustment and on top it has a lever stle handle that looks it in position as well as putting more pressure on on i also use a plug socket with 2 cut outs near the edge which goes on direct on spark plugs,,,those cut outs are about 1" long by 3/8" wide... i,ve used it on my gs1000e 8V and my yam it works like a treat hope this helps regards oldbiker

I also have the $40 one from MixesXS. I like it because it looks like it can be used with many valve sizes, however . . . I dunno is it just me or does the kit seem incomplete? It seems like there should be a click-on foot where I have the socket in the second & third pic. at first I used a penny where I have the socket to disperse some pressure up against the valve face, and to see what kind of pressure it was exerting. Yes it did dent the penny considerably, so now I just use a 14mm 3/8 drive socket which "sort of" snaps on the post and works just fine. . . . but I'm still not sure if that is the way the tool is designed or not, and nor have I been able to find any info on the webnet about its use. . .

Attachments

• IMG_2885s.jpg
    IMG_2885s.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2887s.jpg
    IMG_2887s.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2890s.jpg
    IMG_2890s.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Pawl, the penny trick is a good idea. I was pressing directly on the valve face and had no ill effects. A penny would be a bit of cheap insurance to make sure you don't damage the valve. I'll keep that in mind the next time I use it. Thanks.

I rented a valve compressor from Advanced Auto and was able to remove my valves from my 78. (The tool looked a lot like the compressor gggGary posted way up top...the one that doesnt look like a C clamp). It was tricky get it in place because of the tight space, but once it was tightened down and the springs were compressed, I was able to push the springs down (with a little force) and remove the collets with a magnet.

Wanted to post the final result for completeness on this thread. Had a buddy try to remove the springs with his heavy duty spring compressor before i came to conclusion that i wasn't doing something wrong. The retainers and spring heads were stuck solid which is why the spring compressors couldn't budge them. The trick that finally worked was to setup the spring compressor up and then hit the top of it with a hammer to dislodge the retainers - the springs compress like butter after that. Seems like we got a good collection of info around this topic in this one thread..

Hi,

Made my spring compressor this morning after picking up a 6" clamp at HF. the other parts are the head of a carriage bolt and a piece of notched 1" DIA X 1/8" tube I had around. After welding the carriage bolt onto the clamp fixed end, I ground the fixed end base to keep it away from the valve head pockets. It works great and is nice and stable.

Attachments

• DSCN1728.JPG
    DSCN1728.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN1727.JPG
    DSCN1727.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN1725.JPG
    DSCN1725.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN1724.JPG
    DSCN1724.JPG