XS650 Thermometer-Dipsticks

Hey Dog, I got my stick today and let me just say what an amazing quality product, WELL worth the price. I haven't installed it yet but just looking at it I can already tell I love the damn thing. Also the shipping was super fast, Thanks again man.

I bought mine back in January and I have to say, this is the best item I've gotten for my XS after the PMA and pamco.

Detale, DamnCager and Kups650, thanks a lot for your posts, and I'm glad you like your units.

Okay, I have done a lot of testing, and I have a lot of engine temperature numbers for everyone.

If you can't stand all of the numbers, here is the condensed version: The Right Cylinder temperature is approximately 70 degrees hotter than the sump temperature, and the Left Cylinder is approximately 30 degrees cooler than the Right Cylinder. And, I still think that you should not allow the sump temperature to get above 260.

Now the long version:
Sump temperature was measured using a ThermoDipStick. Cylinder temperatures were measured using an infrared thermometer pointed at the head, right next to the spark plug.
Readings were taken with bikes idling. First the sump temp. was observed, then the right cylinder was measured, and then the left cylinder. Readings were taken as quickly as possible.

Results from three separate bikes that were run simultaneously on the same course. This was a moderate little 20-mile run.
Bike 1: sump: 180 right cyl: 249 left cyl: 207
Bike 2: sump: 180 right cyl: 241 left cyl: 209
Bike 3: sump: 200 right cyl: 264 left cyl: 222
Bike 1 is a 1982, stock except that the exhaust was made a little more free-flowing. Unknown jetting.
Bike 2 is my 1976 "Bug Killer", pods, shotgun pipes with baffles, carefully and correctly jetted.
Bike 3 is a 1982, stock, which the owner insists on using regular gas in, and which I suspect is slightly lean. I have done a lot of side-by side riding with this rider, and his bike is always 20 degrees hotter than mine.

The following is a "before" run and then a run "after" installing the MikesXS oil filter/cooler kit. The intention of this test was to see if the kit actually had a measurable effect on engine temperatures.
Methodology: I've had the kit for about a week, but I've been waiting for the perfect riding conditions to conduct the test (not wet or rainy, air temperature at least in the 60s, and not rush hour).
The plan was to warm the bike up pretty good by riding it, measure temps; pause; then do a 28 mile round trip freeway ride maintaining 70 MPH; measure temps; pause while quickly installing the oil filter/cooler kit, then run the exact same freeway route, exactly as I had before, and measure temps.
Unfortunately my plan was somewhat thwarted. On the return leg of the "before" freeway ride, I had to slow way done for a bit of the run because there was a wreck on the interstate (once-shiny yellow pick-up resting upside-down on its cab). Traffic was backing way up in both directions. Because I was on a bike, I was able to get around everything pretty quickly and finish the run, but I had to use a different freeway for the "after" run because of the accident (I live very close to the intersection of two freeways). So, the "after" run was not as identical to the "before" run as I had hoped, but I tried my best. The results;
Warm-up run: sump: 195 right cyl: 278 left cyl: 261
Run 1, before: sump: 225 right cyl: 297 left cyl: 264
Run 2, "after": sump: 225 right cyl: 301 left cyl: 267
Okay, this was very much a less-than-perfect test, but my conclusion is that the MikesXS oil filter/cooler kit has a negligible effect on engine temperatures. (I like my kit a lot, however. It is great to finally have real filtration, it looks very good, and is a snap to install.)

DamnCager, MikesXS sells an oil cooler that looks pretty good and is the right size.

Last summer I did a sustained highway test on the hottest day of the year. It was 112 degrees, and I did 70 mph for 40 miles. My ThermoDipStick peaked at 260 degrees. I consider that to be an extreme test, and I think my bike passed the test.

I'd like to get an oil cooler, but based on that test, I don't think it is critical in my case.

Installing an oil cooler correctly will take some research. I did that research last summer, and there is a really lot of conflicting information out there. There are all kinds of pitfalls to be avoided. Such as where you plumb it in, whether the outlets point up or down, and what do you do when you are riding in cold weather. The whole thing scares me a little bit. If someone would do all of the research and testing and would create a good, well-explained kit, they'd probably sell a lot of them.

A lot of people don't seem to be aware that the oil in an XS650 is supposed to be changed every 1,000 miles. One reason is that these bikes don't have true filters. But I think another good reason is that these bikes get hot, and heat causes the oil to break down, thus loosing it's cooling and lubricating properties. If your bike is spending a lot of time near its temperature limit, I think a good solution would be to change the oil more frequently, say every 500 miles.

And if anyone noticed, these are about half the price of another 1 i found on eBay and these are way nicer looking!! cant beat it!
Thanks for alerting me to the competition.
To be fair, those European units have their merits, but their big drawback is that they are in Centigrade, nor Fahrenheit -- they don't mention that. Heiden Tuning will ship you one for less.

I have a question... I do not have a dipstick to go off of for telling you the "time". Is there anyway to figure it out? I do not know if it was plastic or aluminum. There was not dipstick in my engine when I bought the bike.

Thanks

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I can't really think of a simple way. Maybe you could borrow one? Maybe there's a vintage bike shop in your area?

mark.jpg

In this picture from my ordering page:
http://www.handspiral.com/ThermoDipStick.htm
you can see that the plastic and aluminum castings are different. The resulting "clock indexes" differ by 3 hours. That equals a 90 degree difference in the orientation of the handle (or the gauge).

It doesn't matter if you determine your "clock index" with a plastic or aluminum stock dipstick, but you MUST tell me which one you used.

Just got mine today and I really like it. Its a great quality piece and is extremely useful. Looks cool too.
I actually feel better knowing I can check the temp.
Thanks DogBunny!

Just ordered one. Proud to say it's the first mod to my new (and my 1st) XS. Looks like a really nice piece, and made in America from American parts too!

Detroit650, thanks for the order, and welcome to the Forum. Your unit is ready to ship, just waiting for PayPal to say the e-check has cleared.

littlebill31, thanks for your feedback.

JR Hammer, thanks for your interest. I get the impression that most of the ThermoDipSticks that I ship are not going on bobbers, which I really don't understand. You spend a lot of time and money making a cool build, you strip almost all of the plastic off the bike, and then you have the ugly stock plastic dipstick sticking out like a sore thumb on your engine...

Mine showed up today. Great piece, fit's just like the original. If you care about keeping your oil temps in check, be sure to get one.

Gonna order mine tomorrow. Looked through your site. I really wish I could purchase one of your U. vases. They look beautiful.

Detroit650, thanks for the positive feedback.
atomic22, thanks for your interest. I have sent you a PM regarding my U work.
-- DB

Back