Newby

Rick1450

PUTTIN,...what else?
Reaction score
Lotsa good info around here. Had bikes since was a young pup. Daughter wanted to start riding and wanted a nice classic (wanted my Trident) so we found her 79 XS 650. I have a blast on it too. Had one years ago and was great bike. We started on it last spring and shes burning the roads up now. Been looking in here getting tips and decided to join up. My name is Rick and I live in Indiana! Here is her & bike after we were finished(can't believe I said finished).

Attachments

• Ericka 015.jpg
    Ericka 015.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 241
Welcome to the group Rick. Good to get your daughter involved in the hobby. That 79 looks to be in super condition, really clean!

My 78 is the same as your 79. They are good years, because Yamaha had most of the good improvements done by then, but its before the styling and safety interlocks got way overdone.

Watch out for those original fuse panels. They are pretty much worn out and can cause lots of problems.

Let us know how the family riding works out.

Thanks for the welcome. It was not cherry when we picked it up. Would hardly run. Engine sounded good so she bought it. We put a solid state rectifire regulator & pamco ignition & mikes XS coils.Tore carbs apart & cleaned and adjusted them.Runs like a champ now! New paint,recovered seat and a lot of polishing! New pipes,tires and other parts here and there! She has a little over $3000 including purchase price. She loves it! I have the oil pump out now. Something went through it. Was reading in here about cam chains being to tight. Checking that tomorrow or Monday. Have new pump impellars coming!

Thanks for the welcome. It was not cherry when we picked it up. Would hardly run. Engine sounded good so she bought it. We put a solid state rectifire regulator & pamco ignition & mikes XS coils.Tore carbs apart & cleaned and adjusted them.Runs like a champ now! New paint,recovered seat and a lot of polishing! New pipes,tires and other parts here and there! She has a little over $3000 including purchase price. She loves it! I have the oil pump out now. Something went through it. Was reading in here about cam chains being to tight. Checking that tomorrow or Monday. Have new pump impellars coming!

Time to check your filter screen too. Anything that went through the pump had to make a hole in the filter screen (pickup) to get there.

Already put new filter in. Put new sump in when we bought it. It was clean. She put 2000 miles on it this summer. Going to take sump out again and flush motor.I should have checked cam chain & valves but motor was quiet.

I'm thinking they are steel. When we first got it the starter stayed engaged for a long time. I put the starter gear repair in it and it got better. The i picked up a new in box relay off E-bay for $30 and it works quite well now! I changed oil after 200 mi. hopeing to flush .

I'm hoping it was left over from the gear. The teeth were gone. That looks like it would work great. That crap came from something.

Back