XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

Notices

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
aftershock
XS650 Member

Default cant figure out if rectifier i have is only a rectifier or a regulator as well

i bought the rectifier off mikesxs Part #24-2085 it only has 5 spots for wires
3 field and + & -. i have a 78 650 and am trying to eliminate everything except headlight and brake light, and was going to do electric start, i bought a lithium battery which is super small and turns bike over no prob. I have all stock ignition and charging system. (everything worked and ran great before i started project) the reason i bought the new rectifier was i wanted to eliminate all the seperate boxes ( regulator,safety relays,etc.) and just have the one rectifier/regulator. need help figuring out if the one i got will work. on actual unit it say "regulator/rectifier" but on the site is says "recifier only" so confused im assuming the 3 wires go to the 3 white wires from stator, but there is 6 wires coming out of stator 3 yellow and a black, yellow, and green i believe.
so im assuming since the new unit only has 3 "feild" wires and a positive and a neg, i need a seperate regulator??? also read i need to "unground" stator/rotor ass? is this the case if im using all stock ignition and charging sys? thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
24-2085.jpg  
aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
retiredgentleman
XS650 Guru

Default Re: cant figure out if rectifier i have is only a rectifier or a regulator as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock View Post
i bought the rectifier off mikesxs Part #24-2085 it only has 5 spots for wires
3 field and + & -. i have a 78 650 and am trying to eliminate everything except headlight and brake light, and was going to do electric start, i bought a lithium battery which is super small and turns bike over no prob. I have all stock ignition and charging system. (everything worked and ran great before i started project) the reason i bought the new rectifier was i wanted to eliminate all the seperate boxes ( regulator,safety relays,etc.) and just have the one rectifier/regulator. need help figuring out if the one i got will work. on actual unit it say "regulator/rectifier" but on the site is says "recifier only" so confused im assuming the 3 wires go to the 3 white wires from stator, but there is 6 wires coming out of stator 3 yellow and a black, yellow, and green i believe.
so im assuming since the new unit only has 3 "feild" wires and a positive and a neg, i need a seperate regulator??? also read i need to "unground" stator/rotor ass? is this the case if im using all stock ignition and charging sys? thanks guys
What you have is a rectifier only. You can continue to use the stock mechanical relay type of regulator, or you can do what I did and buy a "Standard VR-115". The VR-115 is an automotive solid state regulator which is cheap to buy and works perfect. No, you do not need to unground anything.

78SE, Pamco Ignition with E-advancer and Accel #140403S Coil, dual bridge rectifiers, VR-115 regulator, LED tail/brake, BS38 carbs, OEM air boxes, OEM manifolds, OEM exhaust, Heiden Oil filter/cooler, 17/33 gearing, analog voltmeter, Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear, "All Balls" roller steering bearings
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
aftershock
XS650 Member

Default Re: cant figure out if rectifier i have is only a rectifier or a regulator as well

thanks!! can the vr115 be picked up at local auto parts store by any chance??

ok I think I got the wiring to the rectifier, pretty simple, but then where does the regulator fit in? which wires if any coming from stator ass. go to regulator then?
any diagrams or is it easy to explain? thanks for the help
aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
retiredgentleman
XS650 Guru

VR-115...............local automotive suppliers may have it, or Google/E-bay search.

Wiring diagrams in the "Tech" section.

78SE, Pamco Ignition with E-advancer and Accel #140403S Coil, dual bridge rectifiers, VR-115 regulator, LED tail/brake, BS38 carbs, OEM air boxes, OEM manifolds, OEM exhaust, Heiden Oil filter/cooler, 17/33 gearing, analog voltmeter, Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear, "All Balls" roller steering bearings
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote