kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I would like to fab a chain tensioner that is spring loaded, similar to the monstarcraftsman version and I am wondering if anyone knows where to look for the sprocket and spring. I work in a steel mill and I can have pretty much anything machined as far as brackets are concerned. I can get things slotted, drilled whatever but I am not sure where a guy would look for the other stuff. Any ideas?

I like the idea of something with a spring that keeps tension when going between gears.

I have seen the thread with the skateboard wheel. It is killer but not really the look I am going for.

Here is the tensioner that I built. I bought the spring from Grainger. Just look up torsion spring. It was about $7, but I can not remember which way it was wound. You have to look at the pictures. But it is the way to go.

2011-12-28130910.jpg

I bought it at a local bearing shop called BRC Bearing. It was about $25 and the bearing was $8. I had to put it on my mini lathe to make the center hole large enough for the bearing. The bearing has an I.D. of 1/2" and an O.D. of 1&1 /8". It is a 13 tooth sprocket for a 530 chain, but they had to cross reference the sprocket to the 530 since their books showed another way. I have about $35 in it, but of course the hardware is just for a rough fit. I have some other pictures I could share if you like. I could get the grainger part number tomorrow as well.

Posted via Mobile

This is just what I an looking to do but I don't have a lathe. Not sure how I would get that done. I can't believe that there is not somewhere to buy the sprocket with the bearing already in it.

Try your local farm supply. Farm machinery has idler sprockets all over them.
Leo

whats the OD of the sprocket?

I bought it at a local bearing shop called BRC Bearing. It was about $25 and the bearing was $8. I had to put it on my mini lathe to make the center hole large enough for the bearing. The bearing has an I.D. of 1/2" and an O.D. of 1&1 /8". It is a 13 tooth sprocket for a 530 chain, but they had to cross reference the sprocket to the 530 since their books showed another way. I have about $35 in it, but of course the hardware is just for a rough fit. I have some other pictures I could share if you like. I could get the grainger part number tomorrow as well.

Posted via Mobile

That item is for a ansi 50 weight chain which is the same as 530 chain 5/8th pitch (length between teeth) and 3/8 width. If you are running 520 chain it will be to big (too wide). 530 chain designates pitch/width/0 so 5/8x3/8 same as ansi 50 weight.

I am glad that you guys found something out there. I just got this stuff locally and had some time to work on it and play with my tools. But it would have been easier if I found something already out there. But this worked for me and came out pretty good. The sprocket size you guys posted is great info to match the chain. I hope whatever you use works for you, and my pictures help. Good luck!

That item is for a ansi 50 weight chain which is the same as 530 chain 5/8th pitch (length between teeth) and 3/8 width. If you are running 520 chain it will be to big (too wide). 530 chain designates pitch/width/0 so 5/8x3/8 same as ansi 50 weight.

I will make sure to check back with this thread when it comes time to order my chain, thanks for the great info.

Travis, is this a candidate for the tech section?

Back