final biuld----making the grade

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
hey. been a while since i put anything constructive towards my biuld on here.
i did the rebiuld on a 1.5 over 650(supposed to be a 680 now? can you confirm this?)
did lots of r&d for my build if you like to read my prototype biuld, http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183will give an idea of were i was three days ago.
now, i am at the point were I would like to actually ride this POS further than a mile.
for those that dont want to read all that shit, heres whats going on. ive got a 1980 xs 650 bored to 680, bs 34's with john's needles(rip). new clutch. rebiult, smokes a tad on right side, runs strong(at least upndown driveway).
So... now, ive stripped the protective paint i had on the frame in preparation for por 15.
anybody use it"? its highly regarded in the hotrod world, and i would like to use it on my frame. any body use it? my bike isnt a show bike, but i would like it to be unlaughable to the casual observer.
im waiting for the rear brake pivot from Hugh, and a few other things from mikes, after that, im really hoping that this is the end of the frame biuld so i can put the por 15 on it, and getr done.

Last edited:
I would pass on the por15. Just strip all the paint/rust and paint it with a primer and then paint. Por15 is prob overkill in my opinion.

well... i had it painted hammertone green, wich looked sweet with a black sporty tank, and powder coat black rims, but was extremely fragile. i think black is the way to go. it isnt a show bike, or nothin'

I say we start a pool to get you that frame powder coated in a dark green hammertone powder ;). I'm always of fan of taking time and making it what you want.

no,no. Ive already been in a pool for a old friends 71. Pete donated a basic pamco, after all the problems i had trying to get the bike to start after twenty years. Put on the pamco, and was riding it to the corner store the next day. Thanks again Pete.
But any way, I want the por 15 because ive read it can texture depending how close/far the gun is.
The hardtail I put on is my design. nothing special, but not a kit either. so its got its nicks, bumps and such that could be hidden a little easier. and read por15 is rock hard, and durable.. and for all the scrapes, bumps and scratches, i really need a paint i can touch up.

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

did a starter delete, too.

I was hoping to see a delivery when I got home from work today.
Last week i ordered Hugh's rear brake pivot, and from mikesxs, a brake rod, clutch case gasket, and a few odds, and ends.
But, alas, I ran allt he way home for nothing. Checked my emails, and order reciepts, and the brake pivot ships out tomorow, and the mike order is ground from florida. Guesse I got a few days to get more green paint outta the nooksncrannies.

got the brake pivot in....damn...gonna have to cut up and stretch, tweek the pedal to make it work. its my only option. it occured to me if i had a rear disc(juiced), this would be easy. ive been workin thisbike since 06, so, just another hurdle. I' m secure in my welding,but i just dont want to cut up a perfectly good pedal and do all kinds of wierd angles and shit to get this to work. my pipes are in the way, i cant hang it under neath, and my one-off kawi pegs are too short. might get lowbrows mid pegs, but am leary of solid pegs. i drag the pegs om my 03 marauder all the time, and is un-nervinig.
I'll figur sumthin out. its just metal.

got the motor back in. peg mounds had to be moved back 1 inch. easy.
installed Hughs brake pivot. went as planned. I tacked it on, tested movements, then after i welded it, I put it back to gether, and had a bit of warp from weld heat. sanded the brake rod thingy that goes thru it(very technical, I know). checked freedom of move ment again, and it work, but as i was moving it, it galled up. Hammerd it back out, sanded, filled got it to work again, then went to put the pedal back on, and, umm...looks like some dumbass hammered the teeth to hell.
A little time in the vise with a fine small file, and all is good again.
new neck gussets, too
photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

I still have some paint to get off the frame.

Last edited:
photo3-vi.jpg

TA-DAH!!!!!
used a blu-mol 2" hole saw, a cut off wheel, and a die grinder. looks much better.

did some powder coating today. ive got the harbor frieght one. used thier matt black. came out ok. wont win any trophies or shit, but it aint a show bike.
photo-vi.jpg

I do think I will ratttle can this frame, but was wondering what kind of rattle to use? ive used acrylic in the past on a friends tractor i welded, and it still is shinny.
I might do that again, and clear coat it..

screw it.......primer, then satin black krylon frame. Like I said... its not a show bike.
question though, Is there a certain clear that you guys use on your polished alum?

Back